Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna need more sticks!

Comment

Got shims ready just very restricted due to walls worried about accessing the inside of dome to clean up and with arch form in place using my quarter form inside instead of IT may be too tight a fit.

Comment

I've started cutting next course tapering a little off each side to reduce the triangle effect.will have to use angle grinder to finish cuts for arch as my saw has not got deep enough cut going with full brick arch as recommended by many on this excellent forum.temp here down to 7 deg. so no frost yet day temp about same takes over a day for cement to go off.

Comment

More pictures

Comment

Had 2 attempts to marry up dome with arch I wasn't satisfied with either .lower angle is the problem arch face ok top of arch ok.I just can't seem to get all 3 cut to work even using whole brick would help if I could see underneath arch to mark brick. Also my inner dome edge is spot on round and level but my outer is high at the back clamp must have moved during cutting as each wedge slightly lower .I ll try to adjust it on next course.Im not too worried as the inside is more important.will try wooden bricks to make templates tomorrow .any tips.? On how to get lower angle of arch??

Comment

I need to be looking back at arch from behind dome or even inside dome if only I was vertically challenged instead of folicaly challenged.
              Last edited by Bauldy 2; 11-16-2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Are you keeping your arch bricks rectangular or are you putting an angle on top of them? It looks like you are leaving them "square" and notching the dome bricks to meet. If this is what you are doing it could be part of your difficulty. Sorry but I can't tell from the pics.
                My build thread
                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Yep I notched around first 4 arch bricks either side intended to lengthen as I went up I'll bite the bullet and remov the arch form so I can work out underside

Comment

I used half bricks at base of arch

Comment

Got to adjust level as I appear to be out ok on inner measurement but way out seem to dip down prop as a result of tapping to hard on previous course pump broke on saw today hire co. Should fix it asap.

Comment

Comment

This is the kind of design I have in mind to sit next to oven il attempt to add a vertical fire cage and a rotisserie/ spit .under it will be a small old antique cast iron oven I've salvaged that I'll make into a warming oven or maybe a smoker of some sort.
                          Last edited by Bauldy 2; 11-18-2016, 07:30 AM.

Comment

That'll be great next to the wfo. I've got a slab in place for some sort of grill. My plans weren't that fancy, but maybe I'll rethink them now

BTW, what happened to the brick at the top of your arch? Looks rather short?

Comment

Had. To cut it other way or have 2 smaller key stones gonna stick another one to it.i took a peek at your build that arch was a piece of art I wish I could spend longer with the saw but at over 100£ per week I've got to rush a bit to so mt transition is not gonna be as tight as I wanted.take a look at grillworks us site that make the adjustable BBQ grills the gallery will give you plenty of ideas boss.

Comment

I'll take a look right now, thanks

I looked at hiring a proper brick saw but the price scared me off so I understand the rush! I found a reasonably priced diamond blade that fit my mitre saw. I know it's not really recommended but it's cheap and the mitre saw makes cutting the angles easy. It makes a fair amount of dust, but not so much that it's a problem, and soaking the bricks first helps keep the dust down and it cuts much better. I'm glad that approach worked out because the alternatives are much more expensive. Pity one can't get something like the harbour freight saw that is available in the US for much less than anything I've found here

Comment

Working...
                                X