No announcement yet.

My 36" corner build with Argentine Grill and spit roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Plywood form in pic I will try and use it as a gauge to get exact dome the idea being to fix it to the white plastic pipe suspended from roof and rotate it around dome got a level taped to outer edge and base cut square granite level so should be ok .It should help so mosaics will have half a chance should I decide to tile dome later.Will eventually make a glass splash back on walls behind oven sink with stainless behind grill.
    Last edited by Bauldy 2; 07-12-2017, 04:19 AM.

Comment

• Stainless plug to be set in render for steam vent.I will start curing tomorrow, render fri and second coat sat then fire up to temp and see how she sucks and blows.
      Last edited by Bauldy 2; 07-12-2017, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• Imo you wont need a vent that large. I also don't think that you need the coupling. The coupling will extend too far down into the insulation. You can get by with just the bushing for a reciever if you embed it in the render with hardware cloth to keep it from turning. An electrical lock nut can secure the hardware cloth to the bushing.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• It's just what I had to hand was going to cut it down and slot the sides so steam can escape easy The render was going to b 1 to 1 1/2" thick premixed render from kilnlinings uk the top would either be painted or glass mosaic tiles not decided yet they do a heat resistant flexible tile adhesive for tiling around Victorian fireplaces made by vitas uk I'll see if I have a smaller cap lying around thank for advice gulf.its been 5 months since I finished dome so should be quite dry been covered and weather here been hot 28 deg! Ave 23 for the last few weeks ,which is hot for uk.I will make 3 doors one glass, one stainless and one cedar for decorative to match lower arch storage drawer .I will do small fires until fri then render at weekend then build up heat next week.thanks boss
          Last edited by Bauldy 2; 07-12-2017, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• Render will be a insulated castable able to withstand 1000 deg c can be layer upto 2" thick my door will prob be 4" thick I'm hoping to retain heat for 3/4 days so I can dry wood on last day for my wood burner maybe even give coffee roasting a try .Cooking pizza ,roasts,bread and my ultimate goal to make Italian pannatone .I can only get it here at xmas.
            Last edited by Bauldy 2; 07-12-2017, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• First Fire kindling only on stainless steel sheet so I can move Fire around to evenly heat dome as others have recommended.300 deg c ave bit higher near top of dome will try and maintain temp until Friday when I'm supposed to be doing first scratch coat.The chimney draws well glad I went for the 7" i am still waiting on stainless for glass door should be ready Friday so you i will make a insuative door cedar and ply sandwich with 6" insulation blanket in between.

Comment

• Mesh secure by stainless cable ties and copper wire mesh stainless steel .
                Im getting lots of steam coming off insulation blanket damp to the touch how long before this dries out? Will it be ok to render if still damp on fri ?

Comment

• Lots of "debate" on whether to cure with or without the insulation on...but since you've got the insulation on and it's steaming, my personal feeling is to let it steam off as much as possible (if not completely) before you start the render. Remember that the last of the moisture will need to escape either through the render or your vent... It's hard to say how much moisture you've got to drive out since everyone's build is unique in the amount of water contained. If you follow the curing schedule and keep each stage going for as long as possible each day, it's most likely not going to be fully cured by Friday (IMHO). I'd hate to see you rush the great build you've got and end up having to re-render because the excess moisture coming off caused the render to crack badly. Relax and go slow...is rendering next week really going to be a problem?

Also, remember the great tip from David S to place some plastic over the insulation when doing the last curing fires...condensation or lack of it will tell you when the moisture has been successfully driven out.
                  Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                  Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                  Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                  Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• If you see visible steam then you are going at it too hard, back off or you'll cause damage. Don't be in too much of a rush to achieve pizza temperature. Throw in a couple of chickens and use the heat while you're drying it out.
                    Last edited by david s; 07-12-2017, 02:02 PM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• We had constant rain all day mon and tue night air very damp I recon the blanket must have absorbed some i only used kindling kept temp about 300 deg c I didn't use home brew mix but ready mixed air dry calcium silicate for entire build of dome no added water regular sand cement for decorative arch.i decided to cure wiv blanket on as some said that it allows a more even heat differential also. Figured that since it had been 6 months since I finished dome that most of the water would have dryied out .Wrong these oven bricks must retain loads you would not think so with them being so dense.Im using a castable render that's also insulative.where do I find the curing temp schedule? does it allow for air dry mix or only home brew?

Comment

• Yeah, even though they are relatively dense the firebricks soak up lots of moisture. 300C is a bit hot for the first fire I think... low and slow is best to minimise damage, building up bit by bit. I was surprised just how much moisture was left in what looked like a dry dome.

You'll put a lot of moisture back into the insulation when you render and that will need to be slowly encouraged to leave too - so lots of gentle fires...

Comment

• 300 c was max just while wood burnt down this morning temp about 120 had temp door in all night will keep it at 200 ish today and gonna render next thurs so a week of fires .Did you let yours cool before you rendered?Found and cut / drilled 1" plug its 1/2 " smaller holes will enable me to fix wire to mesh to secure it in render tot length 1 3/8" thank again for advice 300 deg c is what company recommend to cure the calcium silicate cement however no mention on the rate of temp rise so I hope all will be ok.Argentine grill next on to do list

Comment

• Comment

• 2nd day fires kept at under 200deg c.used ash yesterday prob why fire so hot .

Comment

• Moisture seems to have gone kept temp to under 300 deg c today all ok still black been moving Fire around all day nursed it. Found blowpipe very useful to restart embers using a bent sheet of 5mm stainless steel approx 12" square with a 3 " return one side laid kindling over to allow oxygen and sheet makes sliding all the embers around easygoing.will use plastic sheet test tomorrow for moisture.

what temp does oven clear soot anyone have a rough idea?

Comment

Working...
                                X