No announcement yet.

I'm back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a lot of space up there in this vent and the vermicrete (actually perlicrete) is pretty solid. Should I knock it down and start again or line the inside with a good coat of cement?

While it is still a bit damp, should I get a coat of homebrew in there?

Searching the forum, I found a discussion with gasstag and david s on rebuilding the entry way. It looks like homebrew refractory is home brew with "half a handful" of fibers in there. david also remarked that the inside of the vent wouldn't be quite as hot as the inner top of the dome. Combined with the location of the vent being far enough "up the chimney" and out of the way, I hope there would be little opportunity for tool impact. I will see if my local fireplace store is open this morning...
    Last edited by Amusinglisa; 09-17-2017, 09:09 AM.

Comment

OH! What if I use some kiln blanket up there? Maybe dip it in a slurry of homebrew?

I'm figuring I have to take this down eventually. I can do it today or I can learn something along the way...

Comment

Yes it is the area low down around the entry that gets more abuse, but higher up there will still be some flame impingement because some flame often licks out of the inner oven mouth. If you go with the coating of homebrew over the vermiculite then do it before the vermiculite has dried out too much and force it hard against the vermicrete. The space there is fairly important as it gives a space for the smoke to collect and funnel to the chminey or pipe.

You could try the blanket soaked in homebrew slurry, never tried it, you could be onto something new, but I doubt that it would be too successful. There is a product called rigidiser that kiln builders use that is used to paint over blanket to stiffen it.
        Last edited by david s; 09-17-2017, 02:10 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Wow. That went better than I expected.

The blanket loves the mortar. Not sure it will be an actual solution, but it could be interesting.

There were a few spots where there was a gap. I simply pulled off a bit of blanket, shamelessly dipped it in sloppy mortar (think pancake batter) and stuck it in place. I was having a hard time getting the mortar put onto the surface once it was in place until I got to thinking that the problem was that it was like frosting sticking to a spatula, so I switched to a kitchen silicon scraper - that was the ticket.

Comment

SHould I worry about the smoke path along the outside of the dome? I am guessing it should be fine.

Chimney goes up tomorrow. It may get an extra tweak. Curing fire and perlicrete outside of the blanket. After that, we will live to serve the sculptor. =)
            Last edited by Amusinglisa; 09-17-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Don't do any drying fires yet. Anything made with Portland cement should be held moist for at least a week to cure. In fact if it were mine I'd be throwing some sheet plastic over it to hold the moisture in. Drying fires will remove the water that the cement needs for the hydration process to make it stronger.
              Last edited by david s; 09-18-2017, 04:19 AM.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

D'oh! Plastic on now.

Comment

Ahh so this is the thread you're hiding in.

My neighbor had a "friend" build a barrel oven as a thank you to her for letting him and his fiance live at her house for awhile. I did not really know the neighbor at the time, so I was just watching this from 200 feet away like a creeper; my wife didn't want to be nosey. He managed to get the structure done, but did not insulate it. This was three days before Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving Day, I went out to notice they had fired it with all those wet bricks and without any kind of insulation or anything. Apparently the thing exploded and then dropped in on itself, covering the turkey in debris.

It could be worse.

Comment

Definitely hoping for for a different outcome!

With the details on your thread, I have done a base layer of verm/perlcrete (and tarped - looks like we are getting "weather-y" out there. I will be building out a few more layers and beginning the sculpting...

Comment

OK. I promised to bring the crazy:

Looks like the captions are tough to read.
                      1st photo is artist laying out plans.
                      2nd is fill under raked chimney
                      3rd is wire for shaping
                      4th the crazy space-filler layer -- we used cans here after checking exetertemp of the insulated oven. Hottest point was 78*F after 2 hours with the 600* curing fire
                      5th is the name/logo of our place (by way of explaination)
                      Last edited by Amusinglisa; 10-06-2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Here is my door handle so far. It's a work in progress. I am working on my fine welding skills and looking for a hat and a bottle for him.

Comment

Wow, I can finally see where you are going with your design - very clever!
                          My build thread
                          https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Working...
                          X