Stucco or coating recommendations for very cold climates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stucco or coating recommendations for very cold climates

I'm just about finished with my first pompeii-style brick oven. The dome is currently coated with a layer of perlite-based insulating cement. I need to seal it with stucco or some other water-proofing material. The location is in northern Vermont near the Canadian border, so it will experience significant freezing temperatures in the winter. Does anyone have any recommendations on which material I should use that can stand up to the harsh winter without cracking?

Thanks,
    Steve

It has been quite a while since your post and you have had no responses. I thought yours was a good question. Did you ever add exterior coating? I built out my outdoor kitchen last summer and finished cabinet surfaces with stucco. I will begin my oven build as soon as weather cooperates this spring. Recently we experienced 0F - 15F weather locally (southern OH) and it seems to have performed quite well. No cracks, not damage. I spent time on preparation; cleaning dust and applied a polymer acrylic adhesive pre-coat with roller to control all dust residual. My coating was a robust acrylic fortified brown coat with bedded fiberglass mat. The top coat 24 hours later was a premixed white acrylic stucco. Stucco went on easily with a hock and round edge "pool" trowel and cheap paint brush to smooth out difficult areas.

Comment

Working...
    X