No announcement yet.

36" Pompeii Build in the desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As you move up and finish a course. Lay one or two bricks at the very back of the dome and let mortar dry overnight. It gives you an anchor(s) to start the next course especially as you get higher.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Completed the 4th ring. The back side looks fine but the area around the arch looks a bit rough. Also appears I placed the arch form ~1/2 inch closer to the inside dome on the right side compared to the left. Oh well it is a custom build.

Looks like I avoided the droop as the dome brick encountered the arch. The method used was to check level from the other side of the dome while holding the arch brick in the IT.

Fixing to start the 5th chain. If I remember correctly this is where the deep/shallow well thermocouple brick is placed? Also if I want to make a more hemispherical dome (my IT is ~1/2 inch above the floor) do I decrease the remaining chains by one complete turn of the IT stating with chain 5?

Comment

• Looking good! Not long now and you will clear the arch - one more major milestone under your belt
        My build thread
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Finished the 5th course which cleared the arch. Can I take out the inner arch form after the mortar cures for a week?

Comment

• I built my arch first. I removed the form about 30 minutes later.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Allrightythen, i will remove the little beggar today. Thanks.

Comment

• Try and save the form, it will become a template for your door.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Finished the 6th and 7th chains. On to #8.

Starting to think about the vent arch. I like the looks of the JR’s serpentine arch. Not sure how to determine the taper needed to make the curves.

Comment

• The serpentine vent works really well with a semi-circular arch, as you can use the same taper for all the bricks by just flipping bricks over at the proper point to create the size opening you need. You are going to have to get a little creative with the flatter arch you went with.
                    My build thread

Comment

• JR, I just love this serpentine vent design. I wish you'd beat me to the build and posted pictures so I could have used this for my Dragonfly Den oven. I struggled so much with trying to figure out how to build my vault & chimney support...and as always with so many design problems, after the fact you see how elegant the solution could be and you just want to kick yourself for not thinking of it. I really am glad this forum exists with such great dialog and help for folks like Jim from people actually experienced in the process (with ALL its ups and downs). Pats on the back all around!
                      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Dome done. Removed the IT/wood block (not easy) and replaced the floor brick.

Any suggested readings on serpentine arch construction?

Comment

• Congratulations on the dome closure, Jim. I know that has to feel good. Your interior dome looks really good. I hope mine looks half that good when I'm done.
                          Dan

Build Log
                          Build Photo Album

Comment

• +1 on closing the dome. That is a major milestone and I know it feels good to to "get 'er done" .

I did not have any trouble removing the wood brick. I screwed a couple of long deck screws into the "wood" brick at each end (leaving them raised) for some leverage. Just a little wiggle and it was out. I then vacuumed the hole to make sure that the "real" brick would set down into place.
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Originally posted by jim lofaro View Post
                              Any suggested readings on serpentine arch construction?
                              Jim, when I looked for "in process" pics of the serpentine arch, all I could find was images of the completed ones. Reminded me of the old cartoon of the flow chart where "a miracle occurs" is written in the middle box. That is why I tried to document my arch the best I could, but don't' think I included a shot from the front of the arch right before I flipped my bricks to have the thick part on the inside and start the reverse curve. You can see from the pic below I reversed the curve after the fourth tapered bricks, which I think are at a little less than a 45 degree angle. Your arch bricks are all at a much steeper angle, which I believe will make it much harder to do a serpentine transition. I completed the hemispherical arches on the front and back of the vent, then mortared the serpentine bricks in using the two arches to anchor to and as a guide. If you decide to try to make this work we will all be watching with interest, and I'm here to help as much as I can and can post more pictures if you need.

My build thread

Comment

• Thanks all for the words of encouragement.

SableSprings: No truer words were never spoken about the ginormous amount of help and institutional knowledge of this forum.

Dan: Looked at your photos and damn, you are doing a professional job. Well done sir. It was a bit of an anti-climactic finish for me as I was expecting it would take me a few weeks to cut the 3 piece keystone. It only took the afternoon and I put it in the next day. No real drama. Good to move onto step Next however. BTW, covet your tractor.

Joe: I ended up putting in a few lag screws and running a knife along the edges of the wooden block after vacuuming. Still took about 20 minutes of rocking back and forth. Oh well it is done.

JR: I figured your posts are required reading for all things serpentine. A few questions; what did you end up using for high temperature caulk? Ace Hardware has one but it really does not adhere. Also looking for a source of the ceramic rope, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X