web analytics
Using Refractory Mortar to skin Vermicrete dome - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Refractory Mortar to skin Vermicrete dome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Refractory Mortar to skin Vermicrete dome

I know this is not ideal and may be a silly question, but I'm looking to see if its possible to use Refractory Mortar (purchased from Forno Bravo) to apply a skin to the inside of a vermicrete dome that I just completed.
    The only Refractory Cement I can find local is Rutlan, which seems to have mixed reviews when applied with a trowel (seems to need a form). I have a lot of Mortar so wanted to check and see if that would work in place of cement for a skin.

If not, Alternatively, can the mortar mix be modified to make it more suitable to use as a skin? (I also have SS Needles if that helps)

I would expect any skin coat applied to the inside of the dome to fail

Comment

I'm afraid that Toomulla is right. Also, the needles may work in a full thick cast dome. But, I would be afraid of them in a parge coat. If the parge with needles fails, they could end up in your food .

EDIT: Just wondering if this oven is another victim of the infamous medicine ball vermiculite/perlite video?
      Last edited by Gulf; 05-22-2018, 03:21 PM.
      joe watson

"A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

My Build
      My Picasa Web Album

Comment

Here is a link to an answer to a similar question a few weeks ago. I did not want to say it but I totally agree with the advice that was given.
        joe watson

"A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

My Build
        My Picasa Web Album

Comment

Apart from a resulting thin layer being likely to fail the substrate it is applied to, in this case vermicrete, needs to be a bit moist or water in the applied layer will be sucked out leaving insufficient for the hydration process. Also if the substrate is too wet it will interfere with achieving a good bond. So not dry, but not too wet. Give it a try wed be interested to hear how you go.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and insights. Given feedback that thin layer will likely fail I plan on using a mold to do a refractory casing (mixed with SS needles) that's thicker. Will report back on how it goes

Comment

Working...
            X