thickness of hearth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thickness of hearth

What is the general opinion of a 2 1/2 inch hearth placed on a steel base. I want to build a 32 inch oven would this be sturdy enough?

As long as the base has been properly braced i would think you should be just fine. Most of the weight is around the outside edge of the oven. There have been several ovens built this way.

Comment

As long as you insulate properly between the hearth and the oven floor so hearth is protected from oven heat. David S showed how "hebel" which is a aerated concrete did not last as expected but I also believe he was using it as insulation as well.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Yes you for sure need to insulate . I should have also said so but just took it for granted you knew that. I believe forno bravo sells steel stands for their ovens to sit on. You just need to make sure it wont flex or bend under load.

Comment

Well that answers my question thanks I'm getting close to starting my build I 've been planning for about a year. I'm making a stand out of 2x2 tube steel with 4 piers buried 30 inches or so, should be strong enough to hold the weight I'm thinking about 600 lbs.

Comment

Working...
          X