Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best conductor of heat for base of oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best conductor of heat for base of oven?

Hoping to get some advice. My oven gets plenty hot (900+F) when I build a massive wood fire, but the base never really reaches a temp to brown/crisp the crust. So I have well cooked pizza tops, but the crust is less than desired. And after the first pizza the base temps drops off.

My mistake in the construction is I embedded the fire brick base, 1/2-a-brick deep, into the 4.5” thick concrete base square. All of the concrete pulls the heat out of the fire brick.

As I think of the redesign to make larger and fix the base/heat issues, I need suggestions on the best base material to conduct the temp better? Soapstone?

I want to reuse the base concrete/fire brick base, but I hope to lay a new material atop the old embedded fire bric-in-concrete base. My question are:

1. Good material to make base for high heat conduction? Granite, clay stone, brick, 2. Is a solid piece best or better to use brick with mortise joints. What will prevent heat cracking? How thick 3/4”
    2. Do I need to put an insulated material between the old concrete base and new base material? Type of insulation?

Thank for any advise Pizza Oven masters....

It is too bad that you have to be an example of why the floor does not heat up. Bottom line, it is because there is no floor insulation and the concrete hearth acts as a heat sink of any heat the fire brick floor stores. Assuming the floor fire bricks are 2.25.-2.5" thick, this is your best bet once the floor is insulated from the concrete heath. The best bet for floor insulation in a min. 2" layer of CaSi board between the hearth and the firebrick floor. If the oven walls sit on the concrete hearth as well, the heat from the dome walls will also transmit down thru the hearth but there is nothing you can do about that other then tear down and redo. CaSi or AlSi needs to have at least a 75 psi compression rating at 5% and a K value of 0.50-55 BTU*in/(hr*ft 2*F)
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The 5 % compression rating, do you know according to which standard or the dimensions of the sample? (I plan to evaluate some materials).

Comment

ASTM c-177 and ASTM c335,
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks! /Petter

Comment

Working...
          X