Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT and Brick Cutting

2 questions:

1) I've noticed on the pictures people post some of the bricks are cut with a radius, like the bricks that form the outside perimeter of the floor that follows the shape of the FB board. How does one make such nice cuts, round and smooth. Do you use a grinder of some sort?

2) When using the IT how does its base anchor in place so it doesn't move and shift around. Do you screw it into a brick? I'm referring to the part that looks like a lazy susan.....how does that get fixed in place.

Thanks very much for the help.
    John

"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"- Churchill

Here is a link explaining question #1. Cutting floor brick to fit inside the dome.

I replaced the center firebrick with a wooden brick to anchor the pivot point securely. The wooden brick can also be used to adjust for the height of what ever pivot is used.

Here is a quick link that JRPizza shared. Wooden Brick.
    Last edited by Gulf; 04-19-2020, 08:28 AM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Perfect.... thanks. l appreciate your follow up.
      John

"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"- Churchill

Comment

Just make sure you don't try to make your wooden brick too big as you will have trouble removing it. As it was I ended up having to put a few wood screws into mine so I could pry it up without damaging or displacing the surrounding bricks. It does need to be big enough so that the replacement brick will fit into place when you are all done.
        My build thread
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

JR does have a great point. However, that was not the problem that I ran into. I did not think of the wooden brick until after starting the build and noticing that the plywood floor was slightly warped and unsteady. The problem that I had was removing the center firebrick to add the wooden anchor. I still have an extra firebrick around here somewhere wiith hole in it . So, I think that it would best to insert the wooden anchor brick when initially placing the floor. Make sure that wooden anchor brick is as large as the the firebrick. If not use some very thin wedges to center and secure it in place.

To remove, you can place a small length scrap (slightly longer than the wooden anchor brick) of 1/2" ply or 3/4" wood stock over the wood anchor brick. Secure the wooden brick to the scrap wood stock with the wood screws at the opposite long ends. Now you have something to hold on to. Lift straight up. For one that is set below the floor level, use longer screws Screws with no threads on the upper shank work best for this. Tighten both screws alternately and evenly to bring the wooden anchor brick even with the surface without binding.
          Last edited by Gulf; 04-19-2020, 02:00 PM.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
          X