Newbie question about clay oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question about clay oven

Hi guys, I knowthis is primarily a brick oven forum, but you guys seems to be the best source of knowledge for this kind of thing, so I hope you dont mind me asking

I am thinking of building a very simple clay oven for my first attempt and then moving on to a brick oven if this goes well!!

My question is, I am in the UK and I was wondering what/if there is anything I can do to protect a clay oven from out winters? ie frost and wet.

If I build it, it would mean me buying the clay (as I dont think i can get clay from our garden ), so I dont fancy rebuilding it each year!!

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by llol_slim; 05-29-2008, 07:06 AM.

Re: Newbie question about clay oven

Hi

If I've read something into your post forgive me, but I recon you've been reading Kiko Denzers book...

For the additional effort (and cost) of building the clay oven, then a brick oven, I would just go straight to brick. I did, and I don't regret it at all.

Clay ovens are ok, but you will need to build a big shelter over it - no use using cement render or anything on the dome, as the water vapour will get trapped and the dome will fall to bits. Also, clay is quite expensive a material, and by the time you have finished you will be half way to the cost of a brick oven.

I suggest you get the pompeii ebook, and have a read - there are plenty of helpful souls on this site who will give encouragement and advice !

Cheers

Peter

(in wet and rainy Nottingham!)

Comment

hi thanks for getting back to me. I haven't read that book, what did i say that gives that impression? ( My main source of knowledge about clay ovens is a blog someone has done about theirs, i'll find the link if you want)

I do know a LITTLE bit about clay as I worked with a potter for a while and picked up a little knowledge from him.

If a shelther is the way to protect a clay oven from the elements, then I will just build a brick oven!! Seems pointless otherwise!

What worries me though is i am no bricklayer, which is what appeals about the clay.

I will have a read of the ebook as I downloaded it but havent read it yet.

Thanks loads

Comment

llol Slim,

Don't worry about being a brick layer. I don't think too many of us on the forum are and we managed to turn out some pretty cool ovens.

If you're the least bit handy I'm sure you can do it. I agree, I would go straight for the brick oven.

Dick
        'thebadger'

Comment

Well, most of us are not bricklayers- and most of what we turn out looks like we aren't. But they stay up and they cook.

I'm with Peter on this one- get the ebook and look at it, and I think you'll decide to just make the brick one.

I found this forum while I was looking at plans for an adobe oven. I was quickly won over to the round brick style. I'd wondered about the vent in the back on the plans for the adobe oven (the physics for the heat were all wrong), and so I was looking for more information, particularly how to make an adobe with the vent in front.

If you're going to put the work in, make it one that lasts and works better. And don't worry about your skills on bricklaying- just read up on what people have done here, ask questions, and we promise no one will laugh at your bricky skills.
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

llol slim,
            I have been a bricklayer more years than I care to remember, but I had never built a brick oven before. I have just finished my dome and it is ok but not a patch on some that have been built by people on this site. Give it a go I am sure you will not regret it.
            sigpicNever put off untill tomorrow what you can do today. If you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow.

Comment

wow, thanks for the support guys.
              I would love to put my hand to a brick built one, but didnt think i oculd do it, but hey, I'll give it a go. I'll read that ebook tomorrow whilst I'm at work
              I do love the look of those domes. Roll on dry weather then!!

thank you all

Comment

Yay, another convert!

You won't regret it, these ovens are really incredibly cool!
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                  You won't regret it, these ovens are really incredibly cool!
                  When you think about it, that's an odd way to describe an oven.

Comment

converted I am As soon as the weather improves i will start to build it.
                    In the mean time, planning

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_ View Post
                      When you think about it, that's an odd way to describe an oven.

errrm, uh... these ovens are very hot?
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                      X