Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting my WFO! Was a Chef and used one, but this is my Virgin Build..Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting my WFO! Was a Chef and used one, but this is my Virgin Build..Help!

Hello everyone! Posting from California Sierra Nevada.

I was going to build perlite dome style, then a MIRACLE happened. I found a source for fire brick made with cast angles and wedges. Not designed for pizza oven, but will try to make it work. Was purchased and stored for 50 plus years. Wired shapes.

Question #1: If the floor FB is 3" on top of mosaic tile drain system, do I need more insulation hard board. I was going to make a diy fire mortar with hand pounded grog to fill and weird spaces while fitting.

Question #2: How do you build the hearth with drainage holes? Do you make the pad with plugs that you pull out before it sets?

Question #3: If you store wood under the hearth, does the wood get wet from the drainage holes? Duh! Has anyone put scrap corrugated metal or plastic to divert water?

Question#4: Can I use 4" ceramic tile instead of mosaic with 1/4 spacers, on top of steel mesh. ( I have surplus of those items).

Question #5: What would you use for the landing area outside the soldier bricks, and over the concrete base. Clay Brick or ?? Drainage holes, also?

Question #6: With 4" of FB on the dome, do I still need perlite or ceramic pad over the FB?

That's all for now. Thank for your help!

Will post photos soon...

Hi!

1. I think more insulation is better.
    2. Some people use short lengths of pipe or electrical conduit. I've not, but then I did keep the whole thing dry by covering with a portable gazebo while building.
    3. The amount of moisture is unlikely to dampen any wood much.
    4. I can't see why not, but I would consider that you'll have a lot of cutting to do.
    5. My landing area is ceramic tile transitioning to firebrick. Various products can work.
    6. As for #1, more insulation is better.

I look forward to seeing your build.

Kind regards,
    Mark
    My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
    My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Thank you for response.

Comment

No worries. Happy to help!
        My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
        My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Working...
        X