Help - Pizza Oven Fireplace design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Pizza Oven Fireplace design

Good afternoon to all. I started by pizza oven/ fireplace project but I have ran into a problem. The cinderblock is 48 (front to back) x 56 (left to right) inches with 3 sides - front is open. I have a precast / front venting pizza oven that is approx 32 (side to side) x 41 (front to back) inches. How can I double vent the fireplace and pizza oven? The pizza oven flue is set - through the front and angles backwards to middle of oven. For the fireplace - the only areas I have are:
    the left and right back corners of the existing cinder block box - I prefer to keep the dome look and dont want a large box to over 2 flues
    , through the back - prefer not to have 2 separate flues
    come up through the middle of the precast pizza oven floor - dont want to damage precast

How thick of a reinforced slab would be recommended to support top structures? The pizza oven has a 2" precast floor. Will that go on top of slab or incorporate?

The fireplace is planned to vent out the back - do I need firebrick for the ceiling/roof /beneath the cement slab on top?

Do I need an angle iron/ lintel at front opening to support concrete slab or will reinforced concrete hold on its own?

Is there a chimney/ flue height rule? I've seen some approx 6-7 feet and others

Thank you in advance to any suggestions or advice.

Hi Nhams,

Welcome to the forum. Imo, I would abort the combo. Combining an oven and a fireplace is not easy, nor has anyone sent enough feedback on their attempts to convince me that this is an adviseable route to go. I have an oven and an outdoor fireplace. I like the separation that I have between the two. The fireplace keeps the guests attention and out of my way when operating the oven. It may help for others who think differently if you could add some pictures and sketches of your plans.You may also want to do a search of the forum oven and fireplace combinations. There have been a few attempts.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by nhans View Post
      Good afternoon to all. I started by pizza oven/ fireplace project but I have ran into a problem. The cinderblock is 48 (front to back) x 56 (left to right) inches with 3 sides - front is open. I have a precast / front venting pizza oven that is approx 32 (side to side) x 41 (front to back) inches. How can I double vent the fireplace and pizza oven? The pizza oven flue is set - through the front and angles backwards to middle of oven. For the fireplace - the only areas I have are:
      the left and right back corners of the existing cinder block box - I prefer to keep the dome look and dont want a large box to over 2 flues
      , through the back - prefer not to have 2 separate flues
      come up through the middle of the precast pizza oven floor - dont want to damage precast

How thick of a reinforced slab would be recommended to support top structures? The pizza oven has a 2" precast floor. Will that go on top of slab or incorporate?

The fireplace is planned to vent out the back - do I need firebrick for the ceiling/roof /beneath the cement slab on top?

Do I need an angle iron/ lintel at front opening to support concrete slab or will reinforced concrete hold on its own?

Is there a chimney/ flue height rule? I've seen some approx 6-7 feet and others

Thank you in advance to any suggestions or advice.
      I'm not sure I understand your post, sorry! Could you post a sketch? Do you mean you intend having a fireplace under the oven? Each fire would need to have their own flue.
      My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

The system will not allow me to upload or take a picture of sketch and upload. It says single picture exceeds limits.

Yes it would be fireplace below and pizza oven on top.

Comment

Originally posted by nhans View Post
          The system will not allow me to upload or take a picture of sketch and upload. It says single picture exceeds limits.

Yes it would be fireplace below and pizza oven on top.
          You need to reduce your image file size. The max. image size is 2mb.

As the overall height of a fireplace (under) and it's chimney gather will exceed the optimum or even high placement of an oven floor above, I really think you'll struggle to create something that will work well. I'm not saying it's impossible, but as you'd have to build a fireplace with a flue angling to the side and rear, that would mean a pretty small fireplace to be able to have the flue in the rear corner by the time you get to pizza floor level of around 1200mm.

Then, from a practical use perspective, you're standing in front of a fireplace when making pizzas, so presumably the fire under is not in use when you're making pizzas? Or you'll have roasted knees and thighs.
          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Comment

Mark ..... that is correct. Would not likely use fireplace and pizza oven at the same time. Or....... finish cooking and then afterwards do the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                Hi Nhams,

Welcome to the forum. Imo, I would abort the combo. Combining an oven and a fireplace is not easy, nor has anyone sent enough feedback on their attempts to convince me that this is an adviseable route to go. I have an oven and an outdoor fireplace. I like the separation that I have between the two. The fireplace keeps the guests attention and out of my way when operating the oven. It may help for others who think differently if you could add some pictures and sketches of your plans.You may also want to do a search of the forum oven and fireplace combinations. There have been a few attempts.
                I would have to agree...not a good combo. It sounds good but not a practical situation. When you see these two items they are usually side by side but even then for my taste its still too close. I use my fireplace while I'm cooking especially on those cool nights to keep my guests warm while I tend to the oven. This is just my opinion and suggestion...

Ricky
                My Build Pictures
                https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Your opinions and comments are well respected and much appreciated.

Any suggestions - other than firewood storage - for bottom space.....its huge!

Additional questions - assuming I just keep pizza oven....

What size slab should go on top of block? 5-6"? The "floor" area of pizza oven is precast. Should that go on top of cement slab or be incorporated?

Do I need an angle on front of opening to help support slab or will slab be able to span 48" with 3 support walls?

Can hollow cores be filled with CR 6 or # 57?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

That space is perfect for firewood storage.

Considering the span, a 6-8" slab will work, but concrete has no tensile strength, only compressive strength, so you need steel in that slab. 1/2" rods at 10" centres would be plenty. Your oven floor should be on top of an insulation board layer on top of your slab. Yes, your hollow blocks should have some steel, be filled and you'd want to link your slab steel with your block steel, either by having continuously bent steel or by tying the steel.

Comment

......Any suggestions - other than firewood storage - for bottom space.....its huge!.....

Here is what I did with it..

Click image for larger version

Name:	drawer 008.JPG
Views:	547
Size:	614.8 KB
ID:	433491 Click image for larger version

Name:	drawer 009.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	652.2 KB
ID:	433492 Click image for larger version

Name:	drawer 010.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	581.2 KB
ID:	433493
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the info .......and ideas. I know I’m beating a dead horse but I still don’t see the logic of why a pizza oven combo won’t work. As a novice, there is something I’m not seeing. For space, time and money purposes, I’m ok with not being able to use both simultaneously; would likely use fireplace more.

I will attach a couple pictures of combo setups and my design ideas .............. and please critique to make sure the horse is really dead! :-)

sketch explanation - if the concrete slab on top of fireplace is the issue, I could use refractory brick with cement and / or not ...... a layer of vermiculite beneath the cement slab. (Roof of fireplace). All of this could be incorporated in the underneath form .......... form/ brick/ vermiculite or not/ cement slab poured on top of everything.

the fireplace could vent out the back and boxed in. It would look funny with 2 flues (1 in front for pizza oven and 1 in back for fireplace ) but that would be the sacrifice.

Please let me know what you think.

I’ll start attaching pictures of desired structure/ concept sketches and what I have.

Comment

These are the combos I have seen.

Comment

Concept sketch

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X