Inner arch - Overthinking Placement Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner arch - Overthinking Placement Please Help

Hi - a very basic question but I simply can't get my head straight on how to:

1) place the inner arch soliders. Is it simply at the dimensions of your intended opening size?
    2) how deep to place the arch into the oven (if that even makes sense)

I'm following the 36" build dimensions but for whatever reason I can't visualize where the top of the arch will connect back into the dome and at what angle to then taper the arch bricks. I feel like I'm definitely overthinking a basic part of the build but the more I stare the more I get into the mud....

I’d suggest you first construct your inner arch template and your IT. That way you can dry-test with an arch brick and a dome brick to see where they meet.

if you’re building the usual arch shape with straight sides and a round top, then the 2 corners of your arch will require the most depth into the dome. So that defines the overall depth of the arch.

All the arch brick parts that stick inside the dome’s inner sphere will need to be cut. But there’s already several posts with great drawings/photos on the actual arch tapering.

Comment

Thanks but this is sort of why I get stuck. I have the template and IT but it guess the question should be should the IT land on the inner edge of the arch brick once it’s on the form, and then you taper to suit?

I guess what I can’t figure out is how/where the IT should be sitting?

Here’s a photo of a dry stack to explain better.
      Attached Files

Comment

I hope you didn’t already taper those arch bricks, because I think you need longer bricks that go deeper into the dome.

For the arch, remove all but the keystone. Then hold a dome brick in your IT and hold it alongside the keystone as indicated in my drawing.

The cut along the dashed line will provide a surface to fit your dome bricks to. The cut along the dotted line will make sure that the inside of the arch brick follows the dome shape.
        Last edited by Kvanbael; 05-23-2021, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks - I haven’t cut anything yet...

Comment

Kvan is correct, a full length brick is required for a tapered inner arch with the top dead center being the longest. Do not cut them all the same, they change lengths as the bricks moves down the arch.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	tapered arch.JPG Views:	4 Size:	86.6 KB ID:	438395
            Attached Files
            Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-23-2021, 08:15 AM.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Excellent thank-you both. I think what also was driving my insanity was where to place the inner/tapered edge of the brick in terms of the maintaining the continuity of the dome; ie imagining if the opening was never there in the first place. Kvan clears this up as it basically means the inner edge of the opening profile template sits in line with the travel of the IT. Right?

Comment

Working...
              X