Excessive chimney length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive chimney length?

I was just wondering, are there any downsides of having really really long chimney, like 3 metres long? Or is it that the longer chimney the better?

not really. A longer chimney will draw better than a short one. Maybe it takes a bit longer to heat up, not sure
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Why do you need or want a longer chimney? Do you need to clear a roof line, increase draft due to too small a ID chimney, or just looks? You will have to cross brace a 9 foot chimney for wind load.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
        Why do you need or want a longer chimney? Do you need to clear a roof line, increase draft due to too small a ID chimney, or just looks? You will have to cross brace a 9 foot chimney for wind load.
        Yes, one of the causes for this is that I need to get preferably above roof, sure, I will need a brace to make sure that chimney "pipe" does not move when windy weather. I looked up some chimney math equations and it seems that length is not really a problem. Thanks.

Comment

No problem if you use an insulated chimney flue of the correct diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by mrotter View Post
            I was just wondering, are there any downsides of having really really long chimney, like 3 metres long? Or is it that the longer chimney the better?
            A taller chimney draws better. Mine's plenty tall and it works fine.
            My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
            My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Here's one I built with a tall flue for exactly the same reason as yours. The oven fires and performs pretty much the same as one with a short flue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Simon and Rebecca Stewarts oven copy.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	441781
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                Here's one I built with a tall flue for exactly the same reason as yours. The oven fires and performs pretty much the same as one with a short flue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Simon and Rebecca Stewarts oven copy.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	441781
                Nice, thats pretty much how long I would like it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X