Raising oven floor height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising oven floor height

Need advice from some of the experienced builders on the forum please.

The stand and hearth for my WFO is built and their combined height is 33 inches from the floor. I am assembling as Casa2G oven and would like the oven brick floor to be approximately 43 inches from the ground. So I have 10 inches of height to make up. 4 of these inches will come from FB board and floor tiles themselves (2+2 respectively).

This means, I have to add ~6 inches of suitable material between the hearth and the FB insulation board. Do note that oven dome will be encased in an enclosure, so I only need to add enough material to raise the oven and the front of the stand where granite slab will come. Everything else will be hidden inside the enclosure.

I could come up with the following options:

1. Pour another six inches of concrete on top of current hearth. Seems like a lot of back breaking work and would love to avoid it.
    2. Pour 6 inches of vermicrete instead to reduce effort and increase floor insulation. This adds a lot of time to the build process as curing takes a while. Time is an issue for me for several reasons.
    3. Dry stack two layers of red bricks on the hearth to build a 6.25 inch platform that the FB insulation board can sit on. First layer of bricks sits on its side and the second layer of bricks is flat (4+2.25 inches). This seems easiest and relatively cheap, but not sure if dry stacking two layers in this manner will be stable. Would weight of oven hold all the layers together securely?
    4. Dry stack single layer of red bricks on their side to build a 4 inch platform that the FB insulation board can sit on. Even easier than #3, but I am comprising on the final height a little bit.

Any other creative solutions the good folks of this community might suggest? I would happily take option #3 if dry stacking two layers is not an issue. I could use either clay bricks of concrete bricks as cost effective and fast solutions.

Thanks in advance

Hi Kababia
    How tall are you? I think 43" is lower than I would like. My oven floor is 49" off the floor and I would have liked another inch or two higher! (But I'm 6'2" tall)
    Now, as to your issue. Can you find aerated autoclaved concrete panel? (Such as Hebel) It's light weight, a good insulator and is available in 2" and 4" panel thicknesses. I'd do two layers of 4" minimum.
    Otherwise, I like your option 2 best.
    Kind regards,
    Mark
    My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
    My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

I am 5’9” tall. Height from floor to elbow comes out to 43.5 inches for me. Given our height difference, it comes out roughly the same.

I suppose going higher is safer, as I can always put a small riser in front of the oven, if it’s too tall. Cannot do anything if it’s too short .

thanks for hebel suggestion. Would I got to a building supply store for them? Can two be dry stacked or they need to be mortared?

Thanks

Comment

Aha. That makes sense. Floor to elbow for me is about 49" with shoes on. I don't know if aerated autoclaved panel (AACA panel) such as Hebel is available where you live. Best would be to do a google search using those search terms. If there's a local installer, you may be able to get some offcuts. That's what I did for my oven and the Hebel panel cost me a couple of boxes of beer!
        My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

No luck finding hebel or other aerated concrete product near me this far. I am leaning towards the two layers of clay bricks instead. Any yellow or red flags with that approach?

Comment

No, although I'd suggest that if you have no thermal separation (insulation layer) between all those bricks and the oven floor, you will find that the floor will be "robbed" of heat by the large thermal mass structure below.

I did a quick search for your area and have found one builder who seems to know about AAC panels: Do a google search for Dovetail General Contractors, Seattle.

Comment

Thanks Mark. You rock dude. I love this community . Will contact Dovetail folks and see if they can provide me some AAC panels.

Do note that, there will be a 2 inch FB insulation board under the firebrick floor no matter which option I picked to raise the height. If I ended up going with bricks, the FB insulation board would be between the bricks and firebrick floor. Same if I used AAC panels.

Comment

What is FB board?
                Personally, considering you have 150mm to play with, I would use more than 50mm of insulation under the brick floor.
                75mm (3”) is the minimum depth of ceramic fibre board I would recommend and even that will still see 65-70C on the back side if the surface has been heated for an hour or so and the bricks are at cooking temp.

Comment

Typically Forno Bravo supplies AlSi board (instead of CaSi) as floor insulation for their kit ovens hence sometimes known as FB board. Since this builder has a Forno Bravo Casa 2 G oven this is what I believe he/she is calling FB board.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Kababia,

What type of cooking are you planning on doing?, ie Pizza party or extended multiday cooking? The amount of floor and dome insulation in the Casa kits are just the minimums for a pizza party oven with possible next day lower temp. cooking if you have a good insulated door. For multi-day cooking you need more floor and dome insulation as suggested by FOX.
                    Russell

Comment

fox -> FB board refers to 2 inch ceramic fiber board that comes with CASA2G. Pizza party will be the common use case, but I do plan to do lower temp cooking like roasting etc. some of the times. Based on my reading of this forum, owners of CASA2G report several days of retained heat with their ovens. That said, this forum is all about over-engineering. Let me see if I can get hold of AAC, as they should help a lot, especially in combination with the ceramic fiber board.

I also happen to have some Insulated fire bricks on hand. I will look into adding a layer of those under the ceramic board, if AAC does not work out. Have to see if I have enough on hand, as they tend to be pricey.

Comment

I would not say we are over engineering but rather designing and building to get the best efficiency for the materials that are being used. Some are budget builds, some are over the top, some are kits so the purpose of this forum is to make all members successful.
                        Russell

Comment

Working...
                        X