Oven height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven height?

Newbie again, how do I determine the right height for pizza oven? It will sit next to a 42” built in grill along one wall of covered patio.

The general preferred height is elbow or belly button height, but truth be told you get used to whatever height you've got. Mine is a bit low at 850mm, but folk sitting on the deck are at eye level with the fire so we don't mind it a bit low.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Yup, I second oven floor at bellybutton. It is a convenient height for operating the peel and also nice if you can see all the way to the back of the oven floor without having to bend over.

Make sure to account for all the floor layers (firebrick + insulation) to determine height of the concrete ‘heart’.

Comment

I have come to like the floor much higher, at armpit level. After using and building a few, I have learned that much. But, to each their own, as they say. Too much bending over if it's much lower.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by Kvanbael View Post
          Yup, I second oven floor at bellybutton.
          It really comes down to how deep your entry is. Bellybutton height with a very shallow entry is probably a good option but I would suggest that as the minimum oven floor height, with armpit level the upper limit. Do a mock-up floor height and see how it feels. Standard countertop height is 36" so if you are building on or to an existing countertop then the oven floor will be about 40" anyway after floor insulation.

Comment

In terms of the human body, both in terms of Vitruvius and Le Corbusier's Modulor, the best height would be somewhere between bellybutton and halfway between elbow and armpit height. Armpit would be too high, while regular countertop height would be too low. If the oven is likely to be used by more users than one, then it would make sense to evaluate their various heights and extrapolate a median height from that.
            I'm 6'2" and I find a good height, for me, is 49" to 50" (1880mm height, 1244-1270mm).

Another key consideration is door height. Placing the oven too low means that you constantly have to stoop to look into the oven while working with your pizzas. I'd therefore say that slightly too high is better than slightly too low.
            My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
            My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

MarkJerling , I think that you and I are on the same page for determining oven floor height. Being an ex EMT, I like using the term "xiphoid process" of the sternum. It's actually very easy to find once you search the definition. It's location use to be taught in most CPR classes to find the proper placement for chest compressions ("two fingers above the xiphoid process"). It's the bottom of the breast bone. In most humans that would be about half way between the elbow and the arm pit
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf , Thanks for that. "xiphoid process" is a new term for me but yes, that does seem like a very good reference point!
                Maybe my "xiphoid process" has dropped a bit from eating too many pizzas! LOL
                My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Working...
                X