Can I build on a 3/4 in granite slab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I build on a 3/4 in granite slab?

we just moved to a new house with an existing outdoor granite tabletop. I am looking to build a pizza oven using the 42” plans provided by forno and am trying to figure out if it can withstand the weight. The base is cinderblocks with decorative stones. I would have the front and back of the oven directly above the cinder lock walls. I can’t get into the internal cavity, which is hollow to further brace it.

if folks don’t think the granite is strong enough, I could put the oven on wood planks, steal beams or least helpful, a piece of plywood.

any thoughts or suggestions? Image of table below. Thx!

Probably not IMO. I would remove the granite before going any further. After adding a reinforcement layer, elevating the insulation, and the brick brick floor, the granite will be mostly covered and at a much lower shelf level than which would be ergonomic.

Removing the granite would allow for it to be used as a prep table to the side. If not, it could be sold to help with oven expenses.

Removing the granite will also allow for the cinder block cores to be filled, and a proper sized concrete hearth slab to be installed.

This advice is based on the thickness of the existing concrete under the existing stand.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by cpconner16 View Post
      we just moved to a new house with an existing outdoor granite tabletop. I am looking to build a pizza oven using the 42” plans provided by forno and am trying to figure out if it can withstand the weight. The base is cinderblocks with decorative stones. I would have the front and back of the oven directly above the cinder lock walls. I can’t get into the internal cavity, which is hollow to further brace it.

if folks don’t think the granite is strong enough, I could put the oven on wood planks, steal beams or least helpful, a piece of plywood.

any thoughts or suggestions? Image of table below. Thx!
      I think it would be a much nicer idea, if you have the space, to leave that lovely table just as it is and use it as a prep-space for pizzas. I would (if there's enough space) build the pizza oven off to the side and keep the table.
      My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Originally posted by cpconner16 View Post
        I would have the front and back of the oven directly above the cinder lock walls. I can’t get into the internal cavity, which is hollow to further brace it.

Cinder blocks will be fine but the granite will definitely not support the weight. You could cast a reinforced concrete slab on top of the granite to support the oven but as suggested, remove the granite, pour a slab and put the granite on top of the slab or just build another base close by if you have the room are good options to think about.
        Last edited by Pizzarotic; 03-18-2022, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X