Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crust burning immed upon sliding pizza from peel

2 part question.
    #1 - I slide pizza off peel onto 700° floor. Almost immediately it burns. I use the most minimal amount of Semola flour on the peel. My dough balls are double fermented 48 hrs w/ Caputo Pizzeria flour, allowed to warm to room temp, and dusted w/ light amount of semola flour for stretching. I use only flour, water, sea salt and yeast. If I don't use the semola flour after removing the balls from the proofing try they are too "wet and sticky" and I can't handle them for stretching. Hydration of dough is 63%. Once I dust them, I remove all flour from the countertop and try to "knock off" any residual flour during stretching/handling. I could try the Caputo flour for dusting but I understand it burns more easily than the Semola. The pizza tops are great. I see people on Youtube heavily coating their dough balls prior to stretching and nothing seems to happen. Oven floor is brushed clean to remove all ash/debris as much as possible b/w every pizza. This photo was after the last pizza I made last pm and I didn't clean the oven. Can see the black char on the oven floor. What am I doing wrong?
    #2 - how do I clean/remove the stains? I know to put hot coals on the floor and most stuff just "burns away" eventually, but in my case some of the black stains remain. I want a nice clean floor. My pizza oven is a Casa2G80. Can I clean w/ soap and water when cool? Scrub brush and water only? Something else?
    Appreciate any advice.

Nick, I try to keep my floor around 650oF. At or over 700 my pies burn too. BUT, I use a little sugar and olive oil in my dough and both will promote burning before the pies are done. I also use Semola flour on the peels.

As soon as the cornicione bubbles, I pop them and then spin the pies and give the bottom a quick check. The degree of char tells me to either leave it in place or move to a hotter or cooler part of the floor. As soon as the char is what I want, I lift the pie toward the top of the dome to for a few seconds to finish the toppings (the length of time is dependent on the toppings). I think this part is necessary with a Pompeii style oven. If your oven is Neapolitan style the top should cook more in unison with the crust.

Not sure why your pies are burning so fast with your dough recipe. I assume you're using an IR thermometer, just make sure it's reading is accurate.

I use just enough Semola to free the pies. I know when there is too much the residue burns and really makes a mess on the floor that's hard to remove . When I get the amount just right, I can make a dozen pies and only need to clear the floor with a blowpipe.

If I were you, I would experiment with dropping your floor temp a little.

Others may disagree, but I think a clean floor is a sign of an underutilized oven. Stains are a badge of honor

The last thing I would do is put water on my floor.

Good luck finding a resolution.

Gio

My Build: 42" Corner Build in the Shadow of Mount Nittany

Comment

I run mine at 650* max and usually shoot for 600* consistently.
      My newbie build thread: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ie-ready-to-go

Comment

The first pizza is like the first pancake, never the best. The floor will always be too hot for the first pizza. I always cook the first one half way in the entry to prevent burning the bottom because of this. By the third one I can push them deeper in and maintaining a fire on the side, keep pumping out pizza for the rest of the night usually without having to recharge the floor.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The best way to clean your floor is with a good hot fire! We usually follow up any live fire cooking (pizza, chicken parts) with a good hot fire to charge the oven for retained heat cooking the following day(s). When I scoop out the ashes in the morning the oven floor is as clear as the dome. I learned from Gulf you can also burn the gunk off of your entry bricks by placing them in a hot fire - works for stripping old cast iron pans too.
          My build thread
          https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Working...
          X