insulation around the floor bricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insulation around the floor bricks?

I'm in the process of making the Pompeii oven. My flooring bricks are laid in a staggered format with the dome sitting on top. This all sits on the 4" percrete insulation layer. My question is: should I cut the flooring bricks where the stick out beyond the dome so that I can wrap the whole thing (including the side of the floor) with my ceramic blanket or can I just extent the flooring bricks out to the edge of the stand and wrap just the dome. My plan is to stucco/tile as a finish. I'm just not sure if I need to have a clean break around the entire oven to prevent a noticeable heat sink.

IMHO I would take the insulation all the way down to the pcrete covering the floor bricks. What was the pcrete ratio under the floor? 2" of ceramic blanket should be the min. over the dome. A 8 to 10 to 1 precrete over the dome insulation makes a good stucco base and helps make the dome shape more consistent.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell. The pcrete under the oven is 5:1. My plan was to do 3" blanket over the dome with a wire stucco over that. Do you think that is sufficient to insulate?

Comment

3" of ceramic blanket is a good amount and stucco lathe is good as well, a little hard and tricky to make the lathe a consistent dome shape though. 5 to 1 is the recommended ration under the floor with 4" equal to about 2" of CaSi
        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-04-2024, 07:35 PM. Reason: Thx Dave for the catch
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          3" of ceramic blanket is a good amount and stucco lathe is good as well, a little hard and tricky to make the lathe a consistent dome shape though. 5 to 1 is the recommended ration under the dome with 4" equal to about 2" of CaSi
          Correction: under the floor.
          5:1 under floor
          10:1 over dome
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
          X