Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our plan was to pour our hearth with 4 inches of reinforced concrete for strength, then a perlite/portland blend layer of five inches on top of that, then the 2 inch tiles from Maurice on top of that... We could get enough offcuts to make the tiles double thick.. Think that'd be enough? His hearths are 3 inches of perlite/portland/sand on the bottom, three inches of regular cement on top of that, then the 2 inch firebrick tiles. He says that works, but I don't want my oven to just work, I want it so sing. Found materials only go so far. If it takes money to get the correct materials, we'll spend money to do it right, we're just trying our best to do this thing as earth friendly as possible, whilst building a cutting edge pizza oven.

Comment

Re: Pizza in a Bread Oven

Originally posted by james View Post
      I have always said that it's easy to cook bread in a pizza oven, and hard to cook pizza in a bread oven. Last night really solidified that thinking for me..............

Plus, it isn't just about pizza. If you want to bake, roast and grill at home, the Italian brick oven design has a lot of advantages.

James
      I'm not sure what to say, but I have a vault and often do great roasts (normal & slow) while having no trouble with pizzas either?

It might have something to do with the fact that I usually spend quite a lot of time firing the oven during the morning/day, depending on what I'm doing. Last Monday I started firing at 12pm and kept it up while outside/in the shed/homebrewing, to last wood at 3pm, there was GOOD heat in it let me tell you. I slid the roast lamb in at 4.30pm, ready at 5.45pm (small roast) & rested for 25mins...sensational meat when it comes from your own paddock!

Pizza, I do quite similar, sometimes just setting a smallish piece of timber on the coals to tick away, this is usually enough to keep plenty of heat to cook 2 or 3 10" - 12" pizzas at a time.

Not sure if I'm just lucky but I love everything that comes out of my barrel vault...or maybe I'm just not that fussy?
      Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Re: Pizza in a Bread Oven

Thanks for the review and heads up. I was wondering if there was much of a difference.

Comment

I'm really excited to to start learning with this group. I believe there's tons of things that I can learn and grow from by participating and learning with all the things that we have here. Please let me know if I can help anyone with there stuff, but mostly I am going to be learning from you.

Thanks for letting me be on the group.

Eric Burkholz

Comment

Another Utahnnn, I have helped a lot of local builder so don't be bashful. In the mean time buy the eplans from the FB store, they are only $3 bucks and will give you a good baseline. Also look in the newbie section under the sticky Treasure Archives, this thread has links to some of the more documented build on the blog.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

It's good information. Basically pizza originate from Italy So Italian Oven Brick Design is good and superior to all other designs. But I had a question If we use Mud mortar Instead of Cement Could It give good result of just waste of time Money not problem as I had calculated Mud Mortar decrease 22% Money.

Comment

But I had a question If we use Mud mortar Instead of Cement Could It give good result of just waste of time Money not problem as I had calculated Mud Mortar decrease 22% Money.
                Hi Ethan,

Yes, a brick oven can be built using mud mortar. But, it may require some frequent repairs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cement"? The "Home Brew" that many on this forum have used to build their ovens is very economical as compared to store bought refractory mortars/cements.

This is an old thread. If you have a lot of questions, it would be great if you would start a build thread of your own.

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel View Post
                  It would help to know the general area where you live

(M) You wrote:

Ok. I'm sold on building an Italian brick oven. I like to keep costs down - who doesn't - but I don't like to cut corners on a project like this.

(M) Good attitude!

Most of all I'd love to know what mistakes not to make

(M) I have a long list of mistakes I've made but most of my Forum buddies have heard them before. Write to me at marceld@efn.org and I'll supply them.

and the most favorable oven materials.

(M) Read the primer on bricks at:

http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_ov...ck_primer.html

Does the size of the oven and the price coralate?

(M) Roughly, yes, but the cost % of a 42" over a 39" suggests going bigger is better, at least in the case of oven construction.

Or since I'm going to spend the time to build one should I 'go big'?

(M) "Bet it like you got it"

Strong trade winds sweep through the property certain times of the year.

(M) You'll get better advice if others know your general area for pointers on frost heave, if applicable.

Are there any tricks to venting the oven?

(M) Tall chimney is good but that is only one parameter.

Do I need to overly concern myself with the direction of the oven?

(M) Robert Musa would probably say, "yes".

Is anyone a feng shui counselor?

(M) Oven construction is fairly rigid where the igloo part comes in but if you're going to enclose your oven, then you have a lot more room for crativity.

(M) Your first big decision should probably be whether you will be housing your igloo. More on that at:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/show...light=decision

(M) Look for my post #30 on that page ^ above.

Only partly joking on the feng shui.

Ciao,

Marcel
                  oh ,, Thankyou so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X