This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bread in a Pizza Oven

would you classify the Forno Bravo Primavera in the same way, or would you call it a "pizza oven"?

Comment

At what temps do you cook your bread?
      Do you remove coals and close the door for 30 minutes too?

Comment

I have also baked bread in oven and it was great and so I agree with you that good bread can be baked in pizza oven.

Comment

There is a lot to do in this furnace, the main thing is to turn on the fantasy and not afraid to try it.

Comment

yeah I heard that you can bake Bread in Pizza Oven recently. I was astonished to hear that.

Comment

Hello, I'm Jacquie, and I've got Bread Problems.

I've been doing regular loads of 6 (1kg) sourdough breads in my 36" Pompeii-style oven, but try as I might to affect different variables (steam, rotation of breads at 5 min intervals) I get breads that have dough "blowouts" every time!

I take the temp of the floor and walls with an -infrared thermometer gun- before the bread goes in (I'm around 500F for both) I put in the bread, aaaaaaand it doesn't even TRY to open up along the score lines I've made. It just crusts real hard against the side closest to the wall, and blows out the dough towards the centre of the oven.

Logically I think the walls might be too hot, but.... ?

I've been doing sourdough breads for years in a conventional oven, and I know what results are possible when using a dutch oven for a single loaf, but this multi-loaf in an outdoor wood-fired oven is all new.

I live in Canada and the outdoor temp has been around -25C a lot of the days I've been trying, so I don't know if that is a factor. I do have an insulated door on the oven (and insulated the oven itself), but who knows.

Little help?
              Thanks!
              J

Comment

I suggest you reach out to our moderator (SableSprings aka Mike) he bakes bread in his oven several times a week.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Bread Baron View Post
                  Hello, I'm Jacquie, and I've got Bread Problems.

I've been doing regular loads of 6 (1kg) sourdough breads in my 36" Pompeii-style oven, but try as I might to affect different variables (steam, rotation of breads at 5 min intervals) I get breads that have dough "blowouts" every time!

I take the temp of the floor and walls with an -infrared thermometer gun- before the bread goes in (I'm around 500F for both) I put in the bread, aaaaaaand it doesn't even TRY to open up along the score lines I've made. It just crusts real hard against the side closest to the wall, and blows out the dough towards the centre of the oven.

Logically I think the walls might be too hot, but.... ?

I've been doing sourdough breads for years in a conventional oven, and I know what results are possible when using a dutch oven for a single loaf, but this multi-loaf in an outdoor wood-fired oven is all new.

I live in Canada and the outdoor temp has been around -25C a lot of the days I've been trying, so I don't know if that is a factor. I do have an insulated door on the oven (and insulated the oven itself), but who knows.

Little help?
                  Thanks!
                  J
                  Hi Jacquie

I've always considered the optimal temperature for baking bread between 350 and 475°F (180 and 250°C).
                  I don't rotate and I don't open the door often. I try to keep my bread spaced and away from the the walls.
                  How close to the walls do you go?

Regards,
                  Mark
                  My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                  My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

We have a 39” oven. And 8 sourdough loafs of about 800gr is really the maximum. We do this every 3 weeks.
                    For us, the ideal floor temp is 250-270C.

Do you place the loafs directly on the (cleaned) brick floor?

do you have a well insulated door with some kind of gasket to keep moisture in? (In Italian villages they even use leftover dough to seal the door).

Comment

Hey Mark and Kvanbael,
                      I think I may be too close to those walls... I'm still so tense about loosing too much heat, that I think I've been packing the loaves in at too high a wall-surface temp.
                      I DO place the loaves directly on the cleaned brick floor, and though I have an insulated door, I think some padding (maybe leftover dough to keep more moisture in would be a good thing to try.
                      I've discovered a Wood fired bakery in my neighbourhood, and I'm going there today to pick their brains about how they do this!
                      Thanks team,
                      J

Comment

Welcome to the forum community Jacquie! In my bread baking experience with my 39" WFO, blowouts occur when your dough loaves are placed too close together during the bake. I do my 400 g sourdough hybrid baguette loaves at 575F for 15 minutes with a check at 10 minutes where I may move/swap perimeter loaves with some in the center. I like to do only 6 loaves at a time so I can have adequate spacing & space to work loaf position if I need. After my 2-3 loads of baguettes, I'll let the oven cool down before inserting my larger whole wheat rounds. For all my breads, I give the oven chamber (and placed dough loaves) a good long water misting before closing up the chamber. Whole wheats take 25-35 minutes to reach a finishing internal temp of a little over 200F.

It would be useful to know the hydration level & type of dough you're doing as well as if you're doing a temp equalization for your oven chamber after cleaning out the ash/coals.
                        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X