Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiln Bricks

Hello all from Melbourne,

As a complete novice I am in the process of accummulating the required bits and pieces as inexspensively as I can.

I have sourced almost everything and have the opportunity to acquire 2nd hand Kiln bricks, some are around 1 Kg in weight and the others are around 3.8Kg's in weight, they are descibed as hot faced Kiln bricks and Outer Bricks
    the latter are the heavier ones.

Which should I take to build the oven?

Suggestions based on your collective experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Re: Kiln Bricks

I will assume that both bricks are around the same size as a standard brick. Saying that, the 1kg brick is an insulating brick and the 3.8kg one is the type you need for your cooking surface and dome.

Cheers

Comment

Used kiln bricks might be a problem- some of the glazes used in firing ceramics contain toxic heavy metals, and the bricks may potentially be seriously contaminated.
      -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Yup, stay away from kiln bricks from glaze firings. If they were used for earthenware or bisque firings they would most likely be okay.

Comment

And stay away from possible chimney stack or similiar stuation second hand bricks, also could have nasties. I dont know your proximity to Melbourne, but could help you with materials. As others have said, the heavier bricks are for the dome, light bricks for beneath the floor, or over the dome for insulation. my contact 0451 470371

Comment

Hi Malcolm, and welcome on board.
            By all means source your materials s inexpensively as possible, I am all for that BUT do be careful to ensure that what you get and where it came from (or rather what it was used in/for) is pretty important to your and your families health.
            If all else fails and you can't afford the proper firebricks, buy some new solid fired clay pavers, they are cheap and appropriate for your oven.
            Don't skimp however on your insulation, both beneath your hearth and over your dome! Your oven's success is dependent on this factor.

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
            X