Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Hi Raffy,
    I believe its the lime in the concrete that destroys your hands, I got a box of latex gloves, even when I was laying the bricks I wore them,,, There is also a product called liquid gloves if you can find it,, You rub it on your hands and it helps a lot keeping your hands from getting destroyed... Good luck and keep going
    Mark

Comment

Thanks, Mark. I'll definitely wear latex gloves when handling cement. Today, I just finished piecing together a rudimentary stand. We'll be doing the final finishing of the stand tomorrow then its off to assembling the hearth slab frame. I won't be able to pour the slab til Wednesday or Thursday. It all depends on our progress.
      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
      Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Hi Raffy,,

Looks good so far, Just one question, I cant see in the pic, do you have your front opening supported with angle Iron ? Or do you plan on suporting it another way ?
        Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Its supported by two rebars "hidden" in the concrete underneath. I can't wait for tomorrow to actually apply the finishing.
          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Good Deal Raffy

Are you putting on stucco ?? if you are, remember to wet the area your working on with a spray bottle or a brush.. Keep going and you will be making pizza in May....

Cheers
            Mark

Comment

Yup, you read my mind. Just an ordinary stucco finish but for the dome I plan to use a colored cement stucco finish. About wetting the blocks, we had to hose it down cause the weather here is so hot that an ordinary spray bottle wouldn't do. It would just evaporate after the spraying. We are 3/4 done with the finish of the stand. Tomorrow we will finish the rest and start on the frame and form of the hearth slab. I set May as my deadline and I hope to be making pizzas and roasts by then.

I project we'll be done by last week of March but of course there is the slow firing of the oven and not to mention the minimum 7 day wait period for the curing of the oven before that.

I'll post some photos soon. I'm just suffering from a little sunburn. In my enthusiasm I forgot to put on some sun block and I'm paying for it now. Hahahaha

Regards,
              Raffy
              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Here are the pics of the progress we made yesterday. We accomplished around 3/4 of the finish of the stand.
                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Here is today's progress. I didn't accomplish as much as I wanted to. We finished the stand today and got going on the form. Hopefully, we finish the form by tomorrow and get started on the rebar skeleton. Yogi, my dog, feels very at home in the wood storage below. I guess he thinks we're building a dog house for him hahahaha
                  Last edited by Raffy; 03-10-2010, 03:36 AM.
                  sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                  WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Hey Raffy,
                    Looks good, except the dog looks like he thinks he has a new house.... Will you be using bricks similar to what John used ?

Cheers
                    Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

Nope. I won't be using the same brick as John's. I found a supplier of firebrick here. Medium duty firebrick if I'm not mistaken. Max temperature for these bricks are at 1,300 degrees Celsius. Although John's bricks are what we Filipinos use for traditional "pugon" ovens, where we make wonderful "pandesal" bread, I chose to go with the fire brick.

I'm thinking of going to Cam Sur to visit John, have a beer or two with him [if John would like =)] and enjoy the beaches there.

Yeah, Yogi loves to stay in the wood storage area below. A cool haven for him in a very unforgiving summer.

Hope all is well on your end.

Regards,
                      Raffy
                      Last edited by Raffy; 03-10-2010, 05:18 AM.
                      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Today's progress:

Got busy today and just finished the frame and rebar skeleton. We will be able to pour the hearth slab concrete tomorrow. I am so psyched! Getting close to cutting, stacking/fitting bricks. Of course, we still have the perlcrete to contend with. Nevertheless, I can't wait to get at those bricks.
                        sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                        WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

How Long Do I Wait Before Proceeding with The Next Course

I'd like to throw a question out there about constructing the brick dome. How long do you have to wait before you move on with the next course? I'd like to maximize the number of courses per day.
                          Last edited by Raffy; 03-11-2010, 03:47 AM.
                          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Looks great raffy,,, Nice to see your enthusiam.. I built my oven as fast as the concrete would dry.. it took me just under 2 months, Nights and weekends,, and a big tarp as it was raining a lot when I built my oven..

Keep Going
                            Mark

Comment

How long do you have to wait before you move on with the next course?
                              Just saw your question, As long as the mortar is solid, and not slipping,, I did about 2 courses per night, I have seen videos where they have done it all in the same day.. so as long as it feels solid enough you should be safe to go ahead to the next course

Comment

Hi Mark,

Cool! I really want to finish it as soon as possible without sacrificing durability. Thanks, Mark. Your help has been invaluable.

Raffy
                                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Working...
                                X