Raffy's WFO Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Did the slab today and perlcrete will be scheduled for Monday after the slab has cured over the weekend. Almost there, almost there...
    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
    Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Here is my version of the indispensible tool. It's very crude I have to admit. The pivot is made out of a magnetic door stop. I attached it to some pvc pipe that I found lying around. The end is just two pieces of wood attached to each other at right angles. I'd love to fabricate it out of metal but as long as it gets the job done I'm satisfied.
      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Looking good raffy...

Keep Going >>>

Mark

Comment

Perlcrete going on the slab today. Here are the pics of it as we are pouring on top of the slab. Now that I have actually seen the perlite, I can see why it insulates very well. Funky stuff I have to admit. While mixing it, I discovered why the mixture has to be a little dry. The cement has a tendency to settle to the bottom if its too wet. Its important to add the right amount of water to make sure the perlite is coated with the cement to make sure the perlite "grains" bind together properly.
          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Raffy

Nice rebar layout on your structural slab. Especially the "hook" on the ends of the individual pieces. Most don't do this and therfore lose a lot of potential strength.

I urge anyone who is building a structural slab to look at Raffy's post and pictures of 03-11-2010, 09:26 AM

Comment

What cement/perlite ratio are you using ?

Comment

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the compliment. It means a lot to me especially coming from a seasoned builder such as yourself. With regards to the perlite/cement ratio, I'm using 5 perlite to 1 cement. With the first batch I mixed up, I was a bit careless with the hose. The succeeding batches came out just right.

Regards,
                Raffy
                Last edited by Raffy; 03-15-2010, 10:35 AM.
                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

I love tropical brick ovens. The setting is just so beautiful.

BTW, if anyone here is a Mexico traveler (I've been there more times than I can count), the little tourist village of El Panchan at the entrance to Palenque has a wood-fired brick-oven pizzeria called Don Muchos. They claim their oven is intentionally Italian in style. Nothing beats eating brick-fired pizza in a rainforest with the sound of parrots and monkeys in the trees.

Nice stand btw. Best of luck.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                  Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Originally posted by kebwi View Post
                    I love tropical brick ovens. The setting is just so beautiful.
                    Having lived in a tropical country all my life, I've taken settings like this for granted. Hehehe. Thanks for helping me to learn how to appreciate it again. This is exactly the reason why I was asking about waterproofing an igloo style oven in another thread. I wanted to incorporate the oven into the setting and not make it stand out. I think an enclosure would be too conspicuous.

Nothing beats eating brick-fired pizza in a rainforest with the sound of parrots and monkeys in the trees.
                    I agree. Too bad our garden is missing the sounds of parrots and monkeys.

Nice stand btw. Best of luck.
                    Thanks! As a newbie, it makes me very proud to hear things like that.
                    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

That is a beautifully solid looking stand! Every time I see stands like this I keep changing my design ideas. Oh boy...
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                        That is a beautifully solid looking stand! Every time I see stands like this I keep changing my design ideas. Oh boy...
                        Hahahaha! It is kinda robust, isnt it? I think I over did it a little bit. I guess I was over compensating for something. Hahaha
                        sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                        WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Hi Kebwi,

I was looking at the pics of your oven opening and it is such a beauty. I hope you don't mind if I model mine after yours.

Regards,
                          Raffy
                          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

"I think I over did it a little bit."

Better over built than under built. The cost of a bit more concrete and rebar is minor compared to the time and effort you are going to put in.

Comment

Raffy,
                              Go man, Go !

Roger
                              Trying to learn what I can about flours, fermentation and flames...

My 81 inch first build; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ost-11354.html

My 52 inch mobile; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ing-20874.html

our FB page; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artys...20079718042660

Comment

Nice work, now the fun part begins.

Comment

Working...
                                X