Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
    Wow! Your stand and dome went up in no time. Nice job.
    Thanks! The sunburn and sweat paid off.
    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
    Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Hi Raffy, I just read your entire thread and I must say, your oven looks great! Yogi is really cute too.

I've read thru twice but missed what size your oven is. How wide is it? Your brick work is beautiful, can't wait to see it all done and working.

BTW: I see you plan on a 6" vent pipe, which is fine, however I recommend with that, you try to make your vent-landing opening (or your flu-box hole) at least twice the area of the pipe to start with, then taper to the 6" pipe. If you do this over a few inches (or the height of a brick on it's side) you have a larger flu-box or vent opening to grab the smoke and constrict it up to the 6" pipe. It's always awkward to convert a rectangular opening to a round hole but doable. You seem well prepared so you may have a plan already but I know it's easy to just put the pipe over a small vent opening which looks good and is easy but it will draw smoke better (and make you the owner/builder happier ) when you see it sucking smoke well.

Again, great job, keep up the good work, Cheers, Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Hi Dino,

Thank you for your kind words. The interior diameter is 1 meter, roughly 39 inches. My vent opening will start at 7x13 and will slowly taper to a 7x7 square which will be enclosing the 6 inch tube I plan to use to extend the chimney. I haven't the foggiest idea how to attach it yet and I'm still searching through the forum on how to do just that. The length of the tube is estimated to be 6 feet but may lessen depending on how high the brick part of the chimney will end up. Since we are prone to typhoons, I'm also considering making it detachable because winds can reach up to 120 kph in a signal 3 typhoon. Honestly, we've had so many trees in our garden brought down by high winds, its scary to think what might happen to a 6 foot tube.

I've read your thread and your oven is simply amazing. Your cat is hilarious! And, the food you've cooked... all I can say is, "WOW!" Makes me eager to start curing and get cooking!

Sincerely,
        Raffy
        sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
        WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
          Hey Raffy,,,,
          You can help the cure by leaving a halogen worklight inside the dome, it will provide a constant gentle heat... The turkey was great, I cooked it without fire in the oven, took a little over an hour for a 13 lb bird.. If you like the smokey taste you can leave a small fire or coals in the oven, the fire will prob go out when you close the door but the coals will give it flavor... Whenever i cook dirty steak I use cherry wood which really makes it taste good..

Cheers
          Mark
          I was wondering if a bunch of candles would do the trick as well as the halogen? Hehehe It would be more romantic that way. Hahaha!

That dirty steak looks delicious! At the risk of sounding stupid, how do you clean it after? Scrape it with a knife or pat down with paper towels?

Raffy
          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Well, I've finished the outer arch and started to work on the vent. I'm still figuring out the vent-chimney transition. The joints of the outer arch are a little too big for my taste but I hope it will be sturdy enough for the job.
            sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
            WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Hi Raffy,
              Looking great, did you find your insulating matl? Can't tell if you have the insulation on the dome yet or not.
              Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Hi John,

How is Cam Sur? No insulation yet. I want to dry out the dome first before putting the insulation. I found some insulation blankets. I prefer them over the perlite cause its thinner and much more efficient. I saw your beer chicken. I like your choice of beer. I'm a Red Horse man myself. Have you cooked anything else after that?

Raffy
                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

We are starting to try cooking pizza and just using round baking pans now, not brave enough to try the peel yet. The pizza is great, still playing with managing the heat. Where are you again in RP?

Comment

Hi John,

Baking pans are ok in the beginning especially when you want that first taste of your very own creation but I suggest you practice "shoveling" the pizza onto the peel as soon as possible. During my training, I ruined many a pizza transferring it to the peel but nothing like getting your hands dirty and making a few mistakes to turn you into the finest pizzaiolo in CamSur. Don't forget to dust the peel with flour everytime you shovel the pizza onto it.

I'm based in Manila. Do you make trips to the capital often? If you do PM me I'll send you my number.

Raffy
                    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Hey Lwood,,
                      I love using the pans.... I have had as many as 6 pizza'a prepped and readdy to cook at one time.. I throw them in, let em firm up, then slap em onto the brick.. The tray also gives you a place to cut and serve the pizza when its finished. You can cook them pretty rapidly too, so you get to eat dinner with your guests..
                      Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

Or you could do it Marks way Although I think it's important to have a thin pan or something that conducts heat fast.
                        sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                        WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Hi Raffy,,
                          I use regular pizeria pans that are bought at the restaurant supply.. for me it just makes the whole thing easier to handle as I am never cooking just one pizza at a time.. And often when a guest makes their own pizza I will cook it all the way on the pan as they usually use too much sauce and if will stick to the oven floor...

P.S. and for the times when I dont use a pan I usually make what is referred to around here as
                          The Accidental Calzone
                          You know when its sticks to the peel and rolls over into a calzone shape

Cheers
                          Mark

Comment

Hahaha! I've made several of those accidental calzones too. Hmmm something to consider when I have guests who want to make their own pizza from scratch. I definitely need to get me some of those pans then. =)
                            sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                            WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Going to stick with pans for now but I have to also get the peel down.

Comment

I have to experience the "Accidental Calzone" personally.

Comment

Working...
                                X