Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Hi raffy.
    congradulations on your first meal,i bet there is no better feeling of satisfaction knowing how much work goes into building something that works.
    I have started to build my stand and will have to post some pictures soon.

regards Gary.

Comment

You are a brave man to jump in like that meal! Looks delicious.

I need to try some meat. The main thing I cook that takes hours in the oven is brisket, so that will probably be next. Normally, I marinate, stuff, grill for 30-40 minutes, then coat with BBQ sauce, wrap in tinfoil, and slow cook in the oven for 4 or 5 hours.

Going by how my oven cools, I need to cook pizza on Sat. night, bread Sunday afternoon, and brisket on Monday. I need to grill it, coat it, and wrap it Sunday, then put it in the oven when I leave for work at 6:00AM Monday. 8 or 9 hours later when I get home, it should be well and truly done.

You have inspired me.

Comment

Originally posted by John K View Post
        Very nice Raffy.

The oven has come up fantastic as did your first meal in it!! congratulations

How did the oven go with retaining heat?
        Thanks, John! I am amazed with the heat retention of the oven. I'm thinking once all the moisture has been "burned" out completely, it would perform more efficiently than it already is which makes me quite pleased with my first oven project.

That ceramic blanket is amazing stuff. I only have around an average 2-3 inches of blanket around the dome so I imagine a thicker insulation would help the oven retain heat even more.

Hope your build is going well.

Raffy
        sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
        WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
        Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Originally posted by eprante View Post
          Congratulations,
          Your first WFO meal and it was Easter dinner. Everything looks delicious.
          Eric
          Originally posted by lwood View Post
          Looks great Raf....
          Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
          Hey Raffy,
          Congrats on your first dinner,, The food looks great... I'm sure after a month or two you will be surprised how much better your oven will perform, Less heat up time and it will retain the heat longer as well,, You did a great job,,,
          Congrats Again
          Mark
          Originally posted by aussiepizzaman View Post
          Hi raffy.
          congradulations on your first meal,i bet there is no better feeling of satisfaction knowing how much work goes into building something that works.
          I have started to build my stand and will have to post some pictures soon.

regards Gary.
          Thanks for the kind words, guys! This oven build has been very meaningful for me and I am so happy to share this experience with you. The fulfillment of cooking your first meal in the oven is easily one of the best feelings one can experience.

Regards,
          Raffy
          Last edited by Raffy; 04-12-2010, 11:56 PM.
          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
            You are a brave man to jump in like that meal! Looks delicious.

I need to try some meat. The main thing I cook that takes hours in the oven is brisket, so that will probably be next. Normally, I marinate, stuff, grill for 30-40 minutes, then coat with BBQ sauce, wrap in tinfoil, and slow cook in the oven for 4 or 5 hours.

Going by how my oven cools, I need to cook pizza on Sat. night, bread Sunday afternoon, and brisket on Monday. I need to grill it, coat it, and wrap it Sunday, then put it in the oven when I leave for work at 6:00AM Monday. 8 or 9 hours later when I get home, it should be well and truly done.

You have inspired me.
            Thanks a lot, Tom. I'm very flattered by your words. Am I to understand that you've only cooked pizzas in your oven when you said you need to try meats? Your menu sounds delicious. Looks like you have a lot on your plate (pun intended) for the next few days

I still don't have my door so I did a lot of cooking with the fire on and I had to use a lot of tin foil so I wouldn't burn the outside. It gets everything crispy outside and juicy inside. In fact, my father and brother-in-law couldn't stop eating my roast pork and potatoes.

I will do some baking with the retained heat soon once I get my door. Can't wait to try the sourdough technique. I've been asking Dino and Eric about developing sourdough. Most people just use commercial yeast and I'm curious if there is a notable difference between the two methods.

Sincerely,
            Raffy
            sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
            WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Hey Raffy..
              You should be proud, You did well.... You can make a simple door out of wood.. My Uncle who lives in Italy and has had a brick oven since he was a child has been using the same wooden door for years, They often will soak it in water before baking so it will release steam into the oven which helps the bread bake nicer,, I have had 3 wood doors already going on number 4... 1 and 2 burned up, I left number one on the oven overnight and when I came out in the morning I found a pile of ashes and 2 handles.. I wish I had taken pictures it was pretty funny.. the other ones became warped from the heat as they were 2 pieces of wood put together.. I also put double 1/8th inch sheet metal on the back, the edges would still burn,

The one I'm working on now is a solid kiln dried piece of maple, almost 2 inches thick, Im thinking of wrapping the edges in Aluminum L channel to keep the direct bottom and top heat off the wood where it always seem to start charring first..

Cheers
              Mark
              Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Raffy,
                What exactly did you mean by your comment about being pleased with your "first brick oven project" , are you planning a second one already?
                Eric

Comment

This was fabulous..!! Very good thought to be appreciated..!!

I have been a guest here for some time and finally joined, I hope that's alright. It's been great to be with you all. This is a fantastic resource for techs in general. Even if those who visit do not fix emergency apparatus, Thanks for the post.. and keep posting the deeds..!!

TIA..!

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                  Perlite and vermiculite work the same. I used perlite, and I like that the white color lets you know when everything is thoroughly mixed. Refractory insulating bricks will work as well, but they are FAR more expensive, at least here in the US. In either case you will need at least four inches under the floor..
                  site lighting | temporary site lighting

Comment

Hey Eric,

I'm sure there will be one more oven to build in the future. How soon? Who knows, but the next one will be for a pizzeria, if ever. Hard to say for now but I hope everything will go my way.

Raffy
                    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                      Hey Raffy..
                      You should be proud, You did well.... You can make a simple door out of wood.. My Uncle who lives in Italy and has had a brick oven since he was a child has been using the same wooden door for years, They often will soak it in water before baking so it will release steam into the oven which helps the bread bake nicer,, I have had 3 wood doors already going on number 4... 1 and 2 burned up, I left number one on the oven overnight and when I came out in the morning I found a pile of ashes and 2 handles.. I wish I had taken pictures it was pretty funny.. the other ones became warped from the heat as they were 2 pieces of wood put together.. I also put double 1/8th inch sheet metal on the back, the edges would still burn,

The one I'm working on now is a solid kiln dried piece of maple, almost 2 inches thick, Im thinking of wrapping the edges in Aluminum L channel to keep the direct bottom and top heat off the wood where it always seem to start charring first..

Cheers
                      Mark
                      Hey Mark,

Great suggestion! I'm still waiting for my quotation for the metal door. If it's way beyond my budget I will definitely consider a solid wooden door. It would give it a more rustic look for sure. Thanks for the advice. I have a few ideas how to design it to be fire proof. Wish you had taken pictures of the ash and handles. I bet everyone on this forum would get a nice laugh out of that.

Regards,
                      Raffy
                      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

"If it's way beyond my budget "

Go visit your local dump. People are always throwing out barbecues. The common "black" shell barbecue is aluminum. Take one home and cut out your door from it. (Maybe even keep the little temperature gauge in the middle).
                        Last edited by Neil2; 04-15-2010, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Go visit your local dump. People are always throwing out barbecues
                          Hey Neil, Great Idea,, we dont have a dump, but people are often giving them away here on craigslist.org although I could use a new one as well, maybe I will cut up the old one

Thanks
                          Mark

Comment

That never crossed my mind. Thanks for the suggestion I think we have a broken down one lying around in our bodega. I'll have to sift through the junk. Hopefully its still there.
                            sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                            WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

I FINALLY got to cook some pizza in the oven and it turned out ok. I'm still getting to know the oven so I'm still not familiar with the "hotspots" on the cooking floor. The top of my pizza cooks quickly but the bottom does not get the charring I want. Any suggestions on getting the cooking floor hot enough are more than welcome. This oven seems to work differently from the one I worked with formerly. I'm thinking my pizza is too far away from the fire where the cooking floor is hotter but I'd like to know your opinions.

Oh, and I tried cooking bread with the last three pizza doughs I had left and the outer crust is tough as nails. Is spraying water an absolute necessity because I forgot to do that. I ruined the rise when I handled the dough. Should I have just let it proof on a sheet or baking tray because it was nice and fluffy before I picked it up with my hand. I had to reform it but by then it was not as fluffy anymore.

I did around 8 pizza with a nice simple pizza sauce of canned peeled tomatoes, olive oil and basil seasoned with salt and pepper. My secret ingredient was the local buffalo cheese and it turned out great. I'm just concerned with the lack of charring underneath. Maybe I have to make adjustments or experiment more since I'm working with a different sized oven.

Some pics for your viewing pleasure.
                              Last edited by Raffy; 04-17-2010, 01:16 PM.
                              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Hey Raff,
                                how long did you let the oven heat up? From the pics it looks like the dome still is charred black, if it cleared to white then went black after a few pizzas then that is understandable, but you have to get the oven really hot to get the floor up to temp. I cooked last night and the first few were perfect, then as the floor cooled down I got some doughy crusts( my son was making them at that point and he was putting on way more ingredients). Also pay attention to where you place the pizza, then dont put the next one on the exact same spot( I know when you are just starting you are glad to get the pizza off the peel successfully).

As for bread. Handling the dough is a learned skill. The less you do to it the better. After my dough has risen (doubled in size) I gently pour it out of the bowl onto a floured board, cut into fourths and form it into baguettes. Keep them shorter at first because as you transfer them to a peel to put into the oven they will get longer as you handle them ( a long peel is a help). The hard crunchy crust is what artisan bakers are trying for- this isn't pan de sal, this is french bread. If the crust was painful to eat, then maybe your temp was too high. The steam helps with oven spring- it will keep rising if the outside is not hard. So I would try to duplicate what you did the first time, but add steam.

FB has some good videos on bread making, dough handling, loaf forming etc on their site. Plus the e-book on bread making that is free.

Congrats on your first pizzas. Enjoy.
                                Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X