Raffy's WFO Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Some pics of the pizza party. Couldn't get much pics cause I was busy cooking hehehe. So I got some of the pics my sis took while I was cooking.
    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
    Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

More pics of the party...
      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Very Nice Raffy,,,,
        Looks like your party was a hit... food looks great... Enjoy

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Thanks, Mark! I cooked so much pizza but there is no evidence of them cause once they were out the oven they would be snatched up right away. It's a great feeling to have so much people enjoy your cooking.
          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Thanks for posting your party pics! Very nice! And talk about start of oven build to official pizza party in record time.....good going Raffy!
            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Raffy your build was inspiring and the party showed your effort was worth it! Congratulations.

Rod
              I would have a shot at the answer, if I had the appropriate question.

Comment

Man, that's some good looking food. I want that chicken!

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Raffy,
                  The party looks like it was a huge success. Looks like you really put out some food from the oven. Congratulations.

Eric

Comment

Raffy, Your stove has inspired me. I was planning on building a barrel oven, but after seeing your stove, I'm set on it. Question for you and anyone else - I live in Western Montana - is it absolutely necessary to build a cover for the stove? I have the perfect spot to build one, but it won't be possible to build a cover. I'd hate to invest the time into it only to have it ruined. Any comments are much appreciated.

Comment

Hey Mike,

I am glad that my oven build has been able to inspire you. If you are doing more pizza and roasting, a dome or pompeii style is definitely for you. I chose a pompeii style oven mainly because it is flexible and allows you to perform different styles of cooking.

The enclosed or gabled-house design helps with protecting your oven from weather conditions and the elements, not to mention, allows you to add more insulation like loose perlite, vermiculite etc. Moisture is the enemy. It increases heat up time and the steam could possibly build up and cause cracks in your dome. Having said that, I found ways to waterproof my igloo oven to keep out the rain and keep moisture to a minimum.

If you have a roof over your oven, I don't think you have much to worry about. I cannot comment much on protection with other types of weather conditions (mine is tropical) but I can say several oven builders have stuck with the igloo design in an outdoor setting and they are doing quite fine.

There are many ways to waterproof your oven. I chose a 2-layer approach. First layer will be a chemical that will penetrate the pores of the stucco and virtually plug them when it hardens. Do a google search on capillary action waterproofing. Second layer will be tile and grout. I'm thinking maybe either just plain tiles or maybe a mosaic design. You will still need a tarp to cover your opening and chimney to ensure wind doesnt blow rain into your oven.

REMEMBER: Do NOT waterproof until your oven is dry. Moisture in your oven will turn into steam once you start firing up your oven and it will find a way to escape. If it can't find a way, it may create a way to escape in the forms of cracks.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you. Happy building!

Raffy
                      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                        Thanks for posting your party pics! Very nice! And talk about start of oven build to official pizza party in record time.....good going Raffy!
                        Thanks! I'm sure you'll breeze through your build as well. When you are enthusiastic with a project work just happens faster than you expect.

Originally posted by Fish Wheels View Post
                        Raffy your build was inspiring and the party showed your effort was worth it! Congratulations.

Rod
                        Thanks, Rod. It is surprising how simple pleasures can make you feel very fulfilled.

Originally posted by kebwi View Post
                        Man, that's some good looking food. I want that chicken!
                        Thanks, Keith. Two words paprika and rosemary. Rub your chicken down with those and don't forget salt and pepper to taste.

Originally posted by eprante View Post
                        Raffy,
                        The party looks like it was a huge success. Looks like you really put out some food from the oven. Congratulations.

Eric
                        You could tell by the dirty cooking floor me thinks hehehehe. Yeah, cooked hell of a lot of food that day. 46 pizzas, roasted potatoes, chicken, porkloin, and vegetables. Tiring but very satisfying to feed friends and family.
                        sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                        WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Gees Raffy!!

Now I'm hungry after looking at all that food. There goes the diet
                          John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Raffy,

Thanks for the PM. I'm kinda envious of your wfo!

I've had a 27 inch earth oven in our beach house in Tali batangas since January. We built it ourselves and absolutely love it. We use it every other week. Our routine is pizza and empanadas/calzones, then a meat roast (so far chicken or leg of lamb), and then 5 or 6 loaves of bread or apple pie. If I still have energy, I bake beans or make callos or something braised and leave it till morning. I use wood trimmings from our trees or from the neighbors. I make pretty good bread - country bread, whole wheat, raisin, walnut, etc. We bake bread every week and the money saved pays for my lpg bill. My gas consumption has gone down even more.

I'll get started building one in our house in Manila. I'd like to do a pompeii. I hope I can bug you with questions. I know where to get the fire brick and the refractory cement. I'm not so sure about the blanket and getting a guy to actually do the work. The chimney on our wfo is only about 18 inches btw and it works pretty well. There's hardly any smoke also because it gets hot quickly and I use dry wood.

Anyway, great looking oven. Congrats!

Eric

Comment

Hi Raffy, just read yourwhole post.
                              Thanks for providing such an engaging thread on your WFO build.
                              I've been making pizza in a woodheater the past 2 winters, i think it's time to move my butt and build an oven!

Comment

Anytime, Eric. You can bug me anytime. Try making paella in the oven. Surprisingly, it works very well just keep the tin foil handy just in case the fire starts to char the surface of the rice.
                                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Working...
                                X