Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Hi Eric,
    The dome went white before I started cooking but I'm sure you are right about the temperature issue. The picture was taken after several pizzas so the dome started to go black. I think I may have over estimated the heat retention capacity of the oven. When the dome whitened, I just periodically put in wood to just get some flames going. I'll make sure the fire is bigger next time so I wont lose the pizza cooking temperature.

That was my first attempt at bread. I'll have to work on my technique to not ruin the rise. Thanks for the advice I'll take a look at the book and try to figure out what else I've been doing wrong. The outer crust was really hard but the inside was the texture of a regular loaf of bread. Is that an indication that the temp is too high?

I can't wait to have another stab at breadmaking. I love a challenge.

Raffy
    Last edited by Raffy; 04-17-2010, 08:57 PM.
    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
    Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

I have done three tries at bread, which I have been baking for years in the electric oven. So far, 1 was great, one was edible and the other was suitable only for dip bowls. Today's brisket on the other hand was great.

The Good:

The Bad:

And the Ugly:

Comment

The bread I made resembles the "ugly" pic of your attempts at baking bread. I'll have a go at it again soon. I hope it turns out better the next time around.
        Last edited by Raffy; 04-18-2010, 09:46 AM.
        sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
        WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Upon inspection of the oven, I found those stain marks on the dome and hearth slab again but only in the area of the perlite insulation for the cooking floor. I'm guessing it's steam which will indicate that the perlcrete still has some moisture which maybe affecting my cooking floor temp. This is probably why I'm not getting the charring I want for the pizza.
          Last edited by Raffy; 04-18-2010, 09:51 AM.
          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

"This is probably why I'm not getting the charring I want for the pizza."

That would be my guess too. These ovens have to be used a bit before they are fully dry and realize their potential.

Comment

The chimney is installed and it is a long sucker. I wont have any complaints from the neighbors with regards to smoke thats for sure. It can be dismantled in case a typhoon is predicted. It's not pretty but it does its job hehehe
              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Now, that's a chimnney!
                George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Raffy,
                  You never cease to amaze me, first building the oven with an anglegrinder, now the tallest chimney since Dmun. I am sure there is a joke about size in there somewhere. Nice, no complaints from the neighbors about smoke.
                  Eric

Comment

Nice work! I would love to see pictures of that chimney going up. How does it draw?
                    Pizza Oven Picture Gallery
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/toddfas/PizzaOvenProject

Comment

Hey Raffy....
                      That is a CHIMNEY You must be very proud,,,, If you dont mind ?? How tall is your chimney, and what does a creation of something that size cost in the phillipines ??

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

is it all stainless?
                        Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

mind you dont get sucked into the oven with the draft on that chimney
                          Why oh Why Did I stumble across this forum- its going to be expensive

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Raffy View Post
                            It can be dismantled in case a typhoon is predicted.
                            If your chimney can instead telescope down in length that would be awesome.
                            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Whoa! I'm amazed at the responses. Been busy all day buying ingredients for the pizza party I've been organizing. I guess bigger is better hehehe.n Or size does matter LOL

Originally posted by eprante View Post
                              Raffy,
                              You never cease to amaze me, first building the oven with an anglegrinder, now the tallest chimney since Dmun. I am sure there is a joke about size in there somewhere. Nice, no complaints from the neighbors about smoke.
                              Eric
                              Thanks, Eric. I'm very flattered by your words. I've made quite a few jokes about that chimney like "That's the 'happiest' chimney I've ever seen" and other jokes of a green nature but I'm sure I will never here the end from my friends saying things like, "You must be over compensating for something."

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                              Now, that's a chimnney!
                              Thanks! It was a godsend to find a fabricator who would take on the project for such a reasonable price.

Originally posted by tfasz View Post
                              Nice work! I would love to see pictures of that chimney going up. How does it draw?
                              Unfortunately, I was the one installing it along with 2 helpers so I couldn't take any pics during the installation. It was very light considering its size. It was a breeze to install despite dealing with the center of gravity issue and thank God there was no sudden gust of wind or it would have been crushed if it fell over.

I'll find out if the chimney extension helps increase the draw today when I cook with it. I'll let you know soon.

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                              Hey Raffy....
                              That is a CHIMNEY You must be very proud,,,, If you dont mind ?? How tall is your chimney, and what does a creation of something that size cost in the phillipines ??

Cheers
                              Mark
                              It's 14 feet including the 3/4 foot "male plug" that slots into the brick chimney and is held in place by a collar which also transitions the square shape into a round one. It's quite cheap since it's made of galvanized steel. I forget what gauge/thickness it is but it is quite sturdy.

Originally posted by lwood View Post
                              is it all stainless?
                              Hey, John. It's galvanized steel. I still have to paint it after the pizza party. I would have preferred stainless steel but budget was limited. All in all I'm satisfied with it.
                              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Originally posted by black olive View Post
                                mind you dont get sucked into the oven with the draft on that chimney
                                Hahaha I'll wear a harness while cooking with it.

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                                If your chimney can instead telescope down in length that would be awesome.
                                Hmmmmmm. Now you've lit a little bulb in my head. That doesn't sound so far fetched. I'm thinking maybe some sort of pulley system inside the chimney... Thanks for that idea. I'll need time to refine it.
                                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Working...
                                X