Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raffy's WFO Build

Hi WFO Enthusiasts,

I am proud to announce that I will be constructing my very own WFO very soon. I will be posting pictures as I go along and I hope in the process I can get input from you veterans.

The foundation and stand seem very simple to build but I am worried about my insulating hearth. As with all of you, I want my oven to be properly insulated. I have tried and tried to look for vermiculite here in the Philippines unfortunately it is not a commonly used component in insulation or construction. Although, I have found a supplier of perlite. So, my question is what is the proper ratio of perlite to concrete and will it be able to support the heavy firebricks that will be laid on it. This concerns me because I don't want the cooking surface or the dome to just suddenly collapse because the perlite concrete mixture could not take the weight of the firebricks. But, then again, I don't want heat to seep away especially from the cooking surface of the oven. So what is the ideal proportion of cement and perlite without having to sacrfice durability? What are the cement and perlite mixtures respective compression capacities at different ratios?

I'm concerned about this because once the oven is built I'm afraid the cooking floor might gradually become uneven or, worse, might collapse under the weight of the cooking surface (firebricks) or the dome.

Would it be better to put some other material underneath like insulating bricks instead?

Would really appreciate input from all of you.

Personal Regards,
    Raffy
    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
    Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Perlite and vermiculite work the same. I used perlite, and I like that the white color lets you know when everything is thoroughly mixed. Refractory insulating bricks will work as well, but they are FAR more expensive, at least here in the US. In either case you will need at least four inches under the floor.

You need not worry about the compressive strength of insulating concrete. They use it to build swimming pools, and they support tons and tons of weight. This is tested and proved technology.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks, Dmun. I guess when people describe it as corky consistency when it dries made me hesitant to use perlite concrete as an insulating material underneath the cooking surface and dome. I'm very excited to start on construction and I will start purchasing construction material this coming week.

Wish me luck!
      Last edited by Raffy; 02-12-2010, 08:04 AM.
      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

hi raffy and welcome to the forum,,

here is a link to another phillipines build,, write to john,, great guy and im sure he would be happy to share info with you

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/m...ress-7690.html

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Thanks, Mark! We're friends on facebook already. Me and John I mean. I have seen his build. Quite interesting. He can most likely help me with finding materials although he is from a different region here.
          Last edited by Raffy; 02-12-2010, 10:17 PM.
          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

your welcome raffy,,

I am also friends with john on facebook.. Here is my facebook adress Login | Facebook
            send me an invite,,, i have pics of my build... Also Forno Bravo is on facebook....

Comment

Hi everyone,

I have officially started with my oven. I have broken ground and have started tilling the soil and clearing debris. I'm so excited and I can already smell the pizzas and roasts. I'll post some pictures soon!
              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Just a couple of pics preparing for the floor.
                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Good start raffy.... Are you going to put some gravel under your foundation ??

Comment

Yup I will put gravel then a plastic sheet so the ground wont wick away the water from the slab.
                    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Hi All,

I just poured the concrete but its too dark to take pictures of it now. I'll post them first thing tomorrow. It's a great feeling to have laid the foundation down. For the meantime here are pics before the concrete was poured.

Regards,
                      Raffy
                      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

If you keep moving this fast you'll be done in no time at all

Good Luck

Cheers
                        Mark

Comment

Thanks very much, Mark. Those are certainly words of encouragement for me and I value it very much. Here are the pics of the dry concrete. I definitely was not prepared for how much the cement mixture would dry my skin. My hands are like sand paper now. I guess I'll wear gloves the next time I mix up a batch.

I put my hand print and my dog, Yogi's, paw print, in the wet concrete as well as some scribbling hehehe. It didn't come out the way I expected it to be and my penmanship leaves a lot to be desired. Hahaha! But at least it gave it that personal touch! Even our cat, curious as she was, left her mark during the evening while I was asleep.

I'm going to let it cure more over Sunday and then I'll start stacking the blocks and hopefully get the frame of the hearth slab done by Monday.

It's such fulfilling work I'm thinking about my second build already hahaha. Just kidding.

Raffy
                          Last edited by Raffy; 03-06-2010, 04:34 PM.
                          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

"Yup I will put gravel then a plastic sheet so the ground wont wick away the water from the slab."

You don't really need the plastic. (Which is going to get holes in it anyway). Simply soak down your sugrade - the gravel layer - before you pour. After the initial set, as soon as it will take it, start flooding the concrete gently with water. Keep surface continuously wet for a minimum of 7 days. Cover it with burlap sacks or old towels or such and then your plastic sheet.

Comment

Thanks for that tip, Neil. I'll be sure to wet the surface from now til 7 days after. It's summer here right now. As it is, it's already 39 degrees Celsius indoors I can only imagine how hot it can get with direct sunlight. Very sound advice from you. I would never have thought of doing that.

Thanks again for your help. I'll be sure to keep it hydrated.

Regards,
                              Raffy
                              Last edited by Raffy; 03-06-2010, 08:03 PM.
                              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Working...
                              X