Igloo style oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Igloo style oven

The question I'd ask about Enerwrap is about the facing and it's ability to withstand heat. The RW won't have any problems with a WFO at temp and I'd bet that the facings won't but I'd ask about it. I used 2" RW boards, these are flexable to some degree, in direct contact with my dome. The price was right and with a bit of easy manipulation, ripping tearing and stuffing, I had coverage.

In my application, a structure enclosed oven, I didn't need as much tailoring as an igloo type oven would need. I don't know that the ceramic blanket does any better job of insulation than does the RW, at least in my application. In the end I have a minimum of 5 inches of RW at the base of the oven and the insulation thickness increases as you move up the oven. I'd guess I have 8 inches of RW over the top of the oven and additional vermiculite over this. The benifit of the oven house is the ability to add additional insulation and provide weather protection.

Chris
    Last edited by SCChris; 02-01-2011, 08:52 AM.

Comment

is it possible that i finally got an attachment to stick?Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2399.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	284253

Comment

Couldn't resist putting that picture in an "Igloo" post... 15-20" Tuesday night with 25-40mph..

Comment

Yea, back east is not the place to be right now - everybody is getting slammed. We're sending another cold front your way.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Uh, the midwest isn't exactly balmy right now either. A co-worker in Dallas said her hockey-playing kids were playing games in the street!

Comment

Hi Stonylake,

If your oven is like mine, after been fire a few days early, that would be a cosy place to curl up in.

Comment

There is a stone wall right behind my oven... the snow drift right to the left in the picture is about 6'. the kids want pizza's for SuperBowl, so I've got some snowblowing to do on Saturday...yes, it would get cozy under the oven, but i don't know if there are any critters living in the wood pile...

Comment

group,

i did find ceramic blanket at a reasonable price, the trick is that i have to wait for relative coming down in June, it will save me the shipping cost that would be more than the cost blanket itself.

also found high heat mortar called super demon air set (comes in a bag, dry stuff) was wondering if any used this or do anyone knows anything on this type of mortar (air setting)? it is a non-solube mortar. it come in a 50 lb bag.
                  i've included the specs.

also what does air set really means? can heat be applied?

i would also like to know curing time, and how does it handle?

how many bags are required for a 42" oven?

by the way we will be slam with another 12" of snow tonight.

any comments are welcome.

thanks

marc
                  Attached Files

Comment

what does air set really means?
                    It means that the mortar sets solid and waterproof without being fired to kiln temperatures. It's what we want, because our ovens never really reach high temperatures.

As for the specific handling of the mortar, ask your refractory dealer to refer you to someone who uses it. There's nothing like actual experience.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

o i have been away for a long periode, i am now getting back to my built.
                      i cant get the mortar that i have previously sourced out, rather still available but price is 4 times what i was given then.
                      can someone check the attached material specs and comment please, thank you,

Comment

forgot to attached
                        Attached Files

Comment

Those 3 products are all castable refractory (fireproof concrete) they will contain high temperature aggregates probably up to 6 mm in size. This makes the stuff unsuitable as a mortar. As the aggregates are designed to withstand temperatures around 3 times that which the oven will see in operation it is a somewhat overkill. A far better alternative is to use the well tested, cheap and more worker friendly (slower setting time) homebrew, which is 3:1:1:1 sand, Portland cement, hydrated or hydraulic lime, powdered clay, by volume.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                          X