Cold WFO steam injection test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cold WFO steam injection test

Faith, taking us to new and innovative heights with every post!

We bow to your ingenuity.

Chip
    Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
      Let's see if I can figure out the video thing.

I just tested the steam injection system on the wfo. I did the test on a cold oven just to watch the steam and flow. In a hot oven the sound disappears and you can't see the steam cloud so it's hard to tell what's going on. In the video the steam is running at 8 psi. I think I would be able to increase the pressure but that will take more testing.

Next will be testing with a load of bread.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Vixcv7pSs&feature=youtu.be
      I saw this video and it sounds good...

Comment

I got to play with the steam injection with a real load of bread. I must say I am impressed. I cranked up the heat and was running at 10psi. For about 2 minutes before loading the oven I pre-steamed and steamed through the loading process. Once loaded I ran full steam for another 5 minutes.

I will post some pictures later. Working on some oatmeal raisin bread today.

Last nights bake was another memorable one. I failed to sleep the night before so I got the bread started late so it was close to midnight when the bread went in. As we were taking the dough to the oven the stars were out. Within minutes a summer storm formed over my oven. Once the bread was in the oven the sky opened up we had driving rain, wind, lightning and thunder. I was hoping the storm would pass by the time the bread was done, but that was not the case. I have a large cover over the oven but with the wind we were still getting damp and this blowing mist would not be good for fresh bread. We ended up pulling the bread out of the oven and putting it on the cooling rack then shoving it in the storage area under he oven the only dry place available.

Comment

Thank you for taking on the steamy subject. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results..

Chris

Comment

Bread with steam. I will be the first to say that my hand feel was a bit off on this bake. It has been a while since my last bake so the first run is always a bit off.

This loaf took a bit of a roll because it set too close to another loaf. But over all I like the improvement from loaves in the past.

The last picture is an example of no steam (and other issues) a good bread eye can clearly see the huge difference.

Comment

Wow. The difference is parallel to what I saw when I picked up Tartine and started using a cloche. Being able to get these results in a Pompeii... Wow.

Chris

Comment

I still think the steam injection needs a bit of tweaking. I had one loaf that appeared to be short on steam. I'm thinking a center of the oven loaf. I will look for that next time. In the video you can see the swirling so I think the center of the oven has a bit of eye of the hurricane effect. So perhaps a second pipe or the direction it's pointing...I'll work on that.

Comment

I'll take either ones any time. I'm still trying to dial in pizza.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I'd pay $4 or $5 for that any day.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                    John Ruskin

Comment

I still think the steam injection needs a bit of tweaking. I had one loaf that appeared to be short on steam. I'm thinking a center of the oven loaf. I will look for that next time. In the video you can see the swirling so I think the center of the oven has a bit of eye of the hurricane effect. So perhaps a second pipe or the direction it's pointing...I'll work on that.
                      In addition to the extremely nice looking bread I noticed a nice mixer in the corner, is that a 20 qt or larger?
                      Chip

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                        I'd pay $4 or $5 for that any day.
                        But, it will cost you $7!

Comment

Chip...that is a 30 quart Univex the 20 quart Univex is on the other side of the room.

At the moment my bread is free. I just give it away to friends and family.

But, it will cost you $7...I had a good nights rest and I got that one right away..LOL

Just did 8 - 2lb loaves of oatmeal raisin in the oven with steam. They are not picture worthy. The bread is great and could not be better (well you know) but with the honey in the mix the crust get's dark brown. When you take a picture they look burnt, but they aren't. I guess a crumb shot would look good...

Comment

Chip...that is a 30 quart Univex the 20 quart Univex is on the other side of the room.
                            Nice and here I struggle along with a 5 qt kitchenaid. But I also give away over half my bread to friends neighbors, and family. I do not think my wife would approve of a mixer larger than her.
                            Chip

Comment

I'd still try it for $7
                              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                              John Ruskin

Comment

That's an easy fix...get a bigger wife:-)

Comment

Working...
                                X