Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deejayoh
    replied
    Why do I not have a bottle opener on the side of my pizza oven? am I dense?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Lee, great! video. Now I'm hungry again .

Russell: "Caveman", "dirty steak" or, "Eisenhower steak" (President Eisenhower loved to cook directly on the coals) It's been around a while under one name or another. Since I don't do a whole lot of pizzas, steaks are usually my "go to" when getting the oven ready for a weekend of baking or cooking.

Again Lee, that is great video. It helps show just how versatile these ovens really are. You are right about steaks being cooked this way being "out of this world delicious". It also surprises most people how clean and free of ash these steaks are. Since you also said that you were "experimenting", I'm going to throw a couple of things out there that you may want to try next time. I think that you will like them even better.

I like to spread out a very thick bed of coals and then flatten them down very evenly so that there are no gaps under the steaks. That cast iron skillet would work great for flattening the coals down. Having a flat bed of coals ensures that the coals are touching the steaks evenly and helps prevent flame ups. A thin layer of sear developes instantly the second that the steak touches the hot coals. That thin layer of sear separates the steak from the coals and seals in the seasoned juices. That flash sear also instantly cools a very thin layer of ash preventing the steak from burning. Parts of the steak that are raised slightly above the coals are more prone to char rather than cook. That is why a flat level coal bed is a must for these steaks to be their absolute best.

For me, flipping the steak directly over seems to prevent the "magic" from happening on the other side. That spot where the first side was cooked has cooled and the second side will not get a flash sear. I like to treat both sides of the steak the same. So just before flipping the steaks, I find a fresh spot of red coals and blow the ash off it. The steak come out cleaner and both sides of the steak will be perfect.

Also, I like cooking the steaks in the entry. I've tried it both ways. The coals alone, produce enough heat for a perfect steak, and the steaks will be easier to manage.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Gulf has also done "caveman" style cooking.............must be the new or old trend.

Leave a comment:

• leemc
    started a topic T-Bone Steaks Caveman Style

T-Bone Steaks Caveman Style

I did a little experiment a few weeks ago and made a video. I cooked some steaks in the wood fired oven "caveman" style - which means you just throw the steaks right on the coals to cook them. I had very low expectations on how they would turn out but the were out of this world delicious. I suggest anyone who is a steak lover needs to give this method a try in their wood oven. Or even the charcoal grill.

Also I recorded this in 4K if you have that capability to see it in that format.

Working...
X