Clear All

• First pizza cook in my home cast oven

m.youtube.com/watch?v=tjmA5FdDBZs
    First time using the oven after building and lots of drying fires

Looks great, get yourself an 8” turning peel
    https://www.amazon.com/Gi-Metal-ETA0...1577845&sr=8-5

well worth it

Comment

Thanks Gianlucaf, ye on my wish listhad spent all summer building so was in a bit of a rush to use the oven after drying. Have wrapped it up for the winter to help keep moisture out will finish next spring paint tile and some more curing fires. Hope buy then i have the right tools and can show some more pizza and nice roasts , thanks for taking the time to reply, checked out your cast build got to admit i am glad i went down that route. Lookinng forward to seeing your finished oven.

Comment

Mine is still on pieces , I sealed concrete this weekend and plan on transferring oven to slab next weekend weather permitting .
        what did you use for the floor and what is the height of the oven floor ? Looks pretty high , is it at a good level or do you find yourself having to bend over to look inside still?
        john

Comment

Hi John, checked out some of your posts and pics, cast and mould looking good. My oven floor is made of fire brick on top of vermiculite and cement insulation. The floor is 1200mm high could of made it a bit higher but it works fine, was told to aim for elbow hight. I have tried to some of the build steps here

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-in-scotland

And here http://ukwoodfiredovenforum.proboard...273/new-member

Best of luck with your build.

Alan

Comment

Your oven looks good Alan, I am hoping to build something similar this year so am reading the various threads in this forum with interest. I thought I better introduce myself to you because I have accidentally joined the group with almost exactly the same name as you: Scottish Alex. I stumbled across your post & for a moment thought someone must have hacked my identity but soon saw you are a genuine group member who is well ahead of me in the art of oven building, hopefully our similar handles will not cause confusion. I am in Portobello conveniently close to Christies in Leith who sell most of the firebricks, vermiculite etc. I'll need, but I am very much at the design stage now.
            Cheers, Alex

Comment

Hi Alex, no worries. Best of luck with your build bit of hard work but really worth it. The best advice I can give is once you have got the base done and starting the dome build is to make a cover. Looked at gazebos but from what i read they get destroyed in bad weather, and up here in scotland the rain is the problem. I built a wooden frame covered with exsess DPC sheet i had left over, this would be lifted onto the top base / harth at the end of everyday. Believe taking the time to keep dry and lots of small curing fires have stop me having any cracks, so far. Plan to build a roof over the oven this summer so i can get more use and protection. Will keep an eye out for your build posts

Comment

Hi Alan
                Good point about keeping the rain off the oven, here in the land of horizontal rain & fierce wind a lightweight gazebo will not survive a winter gale, probably not even a summer squall. A lot of fire and time will be wasted just to drive off the moisture in the fabric of the oven. At this stage I envisage a small barrel shaped oven, I wonder if a tiled exterior rather than render could protect it from light rain & if tiles can be bonded onto a background which will get hot?
                Alex

Comment

Nice Build !

Comment

Working...
                  X