This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ciabatta bread video

I made bread today and shot a video, which came out pretty well. I am very happy with the Primavera oven -- more so than I am with my videography. Hopefully my video (and bread) skills will continue to improve.

On a positive note, the oven was fully fired with three pieces of wood. One split into two; one split into three and the last split into kindling. The Top-Down firing method is a real keeper.

I shot an entire sequence which described making the Ciabatta dough, but the cinematography was terrible, and it ended up on the cutting room floor. More to come on that in the future. In general, the recipe is the Hamelman Ciabatta with poolish formula, with an overnight pre-ferment and roughly 80% hydration dough. It has a 3 hour bulk fermentation with two folds.

I had a great time doing the video and I hope you enjoy it. Comments are greatly appreciated.

One last thing. The oven had enough retained heat to bake Beer-Can Chicken. I will post a short video on that next. The YouTube version of this video should be live shortly.

Cheers,
    James

Last edited by admin; 10-01-2015, 07:27 AM. Reason: Removed the old link
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Ciabatta bread video

Here is the YouTube version.

James
    Last edited by james; 10-15-2008, 11:41 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thank you for posting the video. There is a wealth of knowledge shared in the video, both the visual and verbal parts conveyed had a lot to offer.

Comment

fantastic james .....these videos are invaluable..

cheers

Comment

Very nice, James. In a situation where the floor might be a little too hot, one thing I've tried -- to allow the bread to continue baking but prevent the bottom from scorching -- is to place the loaves on one of those air-bake cookie sheets (basically an insulated cookie sheet). It can provide just enough insulation to salvage the bottom. Not an ideal situation to be in in the first place, but if you have to do something to cool off the bottom, that can do it.

Daren

(EDIT: I should have mentioned that I only do this AFTER the bread has been cooking on the oven floor for a while and I notice that it might scorch. The theory is the same as lifting a pizza off the floor to brown the top.)
          Last edited by dbhansen; 10-16-2008, 01:40 PM.
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

James,

Great video. I have a couple of easy questions:

1. Did you use the Ciabatta recipe in FB's Hearth Bread E-Book?

2. For those of us with a 36" or 42" Pompeii - Should we heat the oven until the dome is clear, then let it stabilize back to 550F? I don't think I can get my Pompeii up to temp with 3 pieces of wood!

Thanks!
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Daren,
              Nice idea with the baking sheet. Next time I'm stuck, I will try that.

Ken -- this is the Ciabatta with poolish recipe in Hamelman. Basically, let 100gr water, 100gr flour and a pinch of yeast ferment overnight. Add 400gr flour, 275gr water (75% hydration), 10gr salt and a little more yeast. Mix for 3 minutes on low (1) and knead for 4 on low (2). The important step is to fold the dough two times during a 3 hour bulk fermentation. That way, you don't have to fold the dough for final proofing.

I've done it a few times in a row, and I really like it. The poolish step is essential and really, it doesn't take very much extra effort.

You should fully bring your oven up to heat and let it fall back into bread temperature. That way, you will have enough retained heat to ride through the bake.

My 24" Primavera continued to hold enough heat from three logs to roast Beer Can Chicken. Very cool. There is always a trade-off between oven size and fuel consumption. Your mileage may vary. :-)

James
              Last edited by james; 10-16-2008, 02:16 PM.
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Very nice James!
                Interested to find out what flour you used...it seems to me that our ciabatta has the same hydration level as yours but it seemed that yours was easier to handle...also interested to hear how you handle the transfer of the loaves from proofing board to peel...you did an excellent job of it and I am sure there will be many who will benefit from hearing how you accomplished it...
                Best
                Dutch
                "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Dutch,

Don't laugh, but I ran out of King Arthur bread flour so this was KA general purpose from our local Trader Joe's. I pushed the hydration way up, and the flour just held it together. Only just. :-)

I think I will get a better crumb with high quality bread flour. Still, a Ciabatto is a very light loaf, so maybe it was the right flour.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                    Dutch,

Don't laugh, but I ran out of King Arthur bread flour so this was KA general purpose from our local Trader Joe's. I pushed the hydration way up, and the flour just held it together. Only just. :-)

I think I will get a better crumb with high quality bread flour. Still, a Ciabatto is a very light loaf, so maybe it was the right flour.
                    James
                    According to Carol Field's The Italian Baker, most traditional Italian breads should be made with all purpose flour because American bread flour is too strong (actually I think she refers to it as "powerful"). Most of her recipes call for all purpose (unbleached, of course), including her ciabatta recipe.
                    Last edited by egalecki; 10-16-2008, 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling
                    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

That's interesting. I think there is a lot of taste involved here. A typical supermarket and even mainstream bakery Ciabatta is pretty terrible. They use very light Tipo 00 flour and to an American palate, the bread is very dry and lacking in crumb character. We used to joke that there was no bread on the bread. Crust and holes. :-) Equally, sometimes you have a somewhat dense Ciabatta from a good quality American microbakery, and it's a great bread, but it isn't an Italian Ciabatta.

My thinking is that there is a nice middle ground.

I'm going to keep thinking and experimenting with different flours, and the Hamelman recipe.

Thanks Elizabeth for this.

James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Couldn't open this, will try at home later.

Comment

James,

Thanks for posting the recipe and the details. Definitely something I want to try.
                          Ken H. - Kentucky
                          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

A good option might be to blend the flours together...the time the dough has in both the poolish and in the initial fermantation will develop gluten quite well(I think)...especially with the steps of folding the dough...our baguettes and ciabatta are both made with blends of bread and AP flour. I am going to begin the recipe tonight...will most likely get baked in the inside oven on a stone and not the WFO
                            In any event it was great looking bread...did it have the nice shiny interior?...looks like it should have...make sure you let me know when that PrimaVera is available to the general public...I have two people for whom it might be the right fit...have to suggest it to them!!!!
                            Best
                            Dutch
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks Dutch,

The crumb was pretty good. Moist and shiny, though the holes could be better formed. The dough did overproof and fall in a little. But trying to improve is the fun part.

The Primavera is generally available, and I am happy to say it is selling really well.
                              James
                              Last edited by james; 10-17-2008, 10:21 AM.
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                              X