Inground concrete Hangi pit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inground concrete Hangi pit.

Im going to be building a concrete hangi pit which will be 800mm x 650mm and the pit will be 100mm wide.

Im not 100% sure of what sort of concrete design to use for this. Do i have to use bricks instead of aggregate? Or can i use general concrete mix with hydrated lime and fire clay? Will the pit be wide enough at 100ml? Should i run reo bar through the pit? or will the reo bar heat up the concrete?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

Re: Inground concrete Hangi pit.

I have also thought of bricking up this pit / oven and placing refractory bricks (firebricks) on the inside to line it. Would this idea work also? Could be easier, and less costly.

Comment

Originally posted by metzstah View Post
      Im going to be building a concrete hangi pit which will be 800mm x 650mm and the pit will be 100mm wide.

Im not 100% sure of what sort of concrete design to use for this. Do i have to use bricks instead of aggregate? Or can i use general concrete mix with hydrated lime and fire clay? Will the pit be wide enough at 100ml? Should i run reo bar through the pit? or will the reo bar heat up the concrete?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated
      I think the pit will too small especially at 100mm wide, or 100ml wet.
      You need to use refractory concrete for the pit or firebricks.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Please excuse my Yankee ignorance. What is a Hangi pit?...suppose I could Google it but why not ask an expert here?

Comment

Originally posted by ATK406 View Post
          Please excuse my Yankee ignorance. What is a Hangi pit?...suppose I could Google it but why not ask an expert here?
          Excuse mine also but, would like to refer to it as "southern" ignorance . I did do a google and see that they mention volcanic stones. Are the firebrick used in place of the stones to retain the heat?. Or, in your neck of the woods, are there sill some type of stones placed in the pit also?.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I can't see what difference it makes as to what materials you use. A hangi is after all just a hole in the ground with some rocks thrown in to hold the heat. All the food is wrapped up to keep the dirt off when the hole is filled in. Why would it matter if some of the thermal mass cracked a bit? Use rocks, old bricks, concrete, railway track, whatever will hold some heat for free. I think expensive refractories would be a waste of money.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Im talking about the pit walls and base. basically like a concrete oven, or a brick oven. which ever i decide to do. Im not talking about the materials I use to heat the food. (I use train track rails which are cut to small sizes). I cant have the pit (oven) walls crack , as this pit or oven may will be out of the ground and will be visualy seen as well will let heat and steam out. (sorry the title says 'inground', but it will be above ground. change of plans )

But i am 90% sure i will go with the brick oven. So for example (ill keep it simple) if i was to brick a sealed oven with an oven like door... would all i have to do is line the full inside of the oven with firebricks and refractory motar?
              Last edited by metzstah; 01-12-2013, 09:39 PM. Reason: change of plans, for title

Comment

If you are going to build an oven above ground then you will need to insulate under the floor, the walls and the roof, otherwise your bricks will not retain their heat well. What are you planning to cook in it? What max cooking temp are you after?
                Last edited by david s; 01-12-2013, 10:52 PM.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David it will basically be a hangii oven, so the bricks wont have to retain much heat.. as the bricks will act like the dug out pit in the ground(dirt or clay walls) and the rocks, ashes and steel rails will provide all the heat and basically steam the food. Im just worried that the bricks will crack, but providing i line the internal with firebricks and refratory mortor it should be ok????

Im not sure of the maximum temperature, but they can reach 300C +

I appreciate all the feedback,
                  thanks.

Comment

Check this out.

3 Guys from Miami roast a pig! How we build hog roasters.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                    X