Smoker, grill, rocket stove in one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoker, grill, rocket stove in one?

Hi all - With my wood oven more or less done I've started thinking about the rest of the outdoor kitchen.

I need a large "boiler" for beer, tomato canning, etc, as well as both a hot and cold smoker and a grill. I don't know if this is a reasonable way to approach all these needs, but thought I'd post a first design attempt for feedback:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10286...83206289413137

It won't be pretty, just hoping for functionality!
    A guy has to know his limitations :-)

Joe

Re: Smoker, grill, rocket stove in one?

I like your concept here, but I have a couple of questions. First, let me say that I have rocket stove, and they sure do work great, but great in the sense of getting something real hot, real quick, like boiling water fast. I also have one of the very best electric smokers that money can buy, and one of the things it does really well, is smoke that meat at very specific low temp that you can set yourself. But, in essence, that means low and slow, and controlled.

So, I would think your design would have two stove burners for boiling or pan frying, and they would be powered by the rocket stove, and that the grills would be powered by wood and charcoal from the oven, so, therefore, they should have a grill grate that can be raised and lowered, via wire rope or chain, from above and therefore you will need a pipe that you can turn the wire rope or chain onto, and perhaps firebrick surrounding the firebox and a chimney.
    The pix I show here are called an Argentinian parrilla grill.

Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I like the way you've rigged up a means to raise/lower the grate on your grill. Question: I thought the u-shaped wood holder was not supposed to be seperated from the cooking area as in your (very nice) grill. Am I missing something?

Joe

Comment

I think it is just fancy wood storage. I would think real coals might come from the oven.

Comment

Some people build the log holder separately from the actual grill supposedly to prevent ashes from falling on the meat.
          Most Argentinian grills actually skip the wood burner altogether as they cook with charcoal.
          Not so the Uruguayan grills, which always have it as a proper "asado" is done with wood The raising of the grill is usually cruder in the Uruguayan version as well, with only one end being raised by a chain while the other end pivots on the wall.
          I have plans if anyone is interested (in Spanish) with all the correct measurements to ensure proper draw of the chimney.

Edit:
          I will translate it and post it in a separate thread as soon as I have a second
          Last edited by scaylabs; 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Any updates for this thread? I am going to start building outdoor brick rocket stove grill ovens any day now.

Comment

rocket stoves Forum at permies I have found this site when looking at making a rocket stove wok.....
              " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Permies is really not the best place to learn about rocket stoves. It is mostly a site to sell their stuff. The best free information can be found on youtube.
                Last edited by devilsbrew; 07-06-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X