Bar finish help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bar finish help

I built a concrete topped bar last year. I had Enspartic epoxy installed by someone. It was ground down to 50 grit. I am thinking I did not get it clean enough - I did not power wash it. About 6-8 months later, it started having spots the size of a quarter or half dollar where the epoxy was lifting.
    I have now stripped it back to bare concrete at 50 grit. I don"t know if I want to chance epoxy again - although I liked it. So did LOML. I also think the epoxy was not thick enough.
    I am wondering if I should densify with sodium silicate and top with beeswax. Since I am limited on time with a wedding coming up, could I just power wash, and top with beeswax-mineral oil(I have lowered the melting point of the wax with the oil for wood turning) and grind it some more in the spring and do the silicate-wax thing then?
    I do my dough prep right on the bar so it MUST be food safe. Thanks.
    -Bill

Re: Bar finish help

138 views w no answer. Here's the new plan...called epoxy installer from last year. Will go w his recommendations. Since no one answered, you may be waiting for an answer yourselves. I will a post a followup post and pics if I get a chance.
    - Bill
    Last edited by Bill Cornett; 09-23-2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Cornett View Post
      138 views w no answer. Here's the new plan...called epoxy installed from last year. Will go w his recommendations. Since no one answered, you may be waiting for an answer yourselves. I will a post a followup post and pics if I get a chance.
      - Bill
      Sorry Bill,

I don't remember anyone on this forum polishing to 50 grit and then finishing with epoxy. Most, have polished to a much higher grit and then sealed. Many, may be waiting on the answer as I am. Please do let us know how it turns out .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I polished to 1500 grit. 50 is just starting to polish. I'm not sure why you go with concrete if you want epoxy on it.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

When I am wet grinding and the concrete is wet, it looks and feels great. I would prefer the 1500 or 3000 grit, but what do you do to seal it?

Comment

I used Quikrete Satin Cure and Seal. Though, I had used Sika Bonding and Acrylic Fortifier in my mix to replace the water. I haven't had enough mileage to give a review, but it's looking good so far

EDIT: My landing is under partial cover in what is considered to be a climate with mild winters. Your "mileage" may vary greatly depending on what part of the U. S. of A. you are from .
            Last edited by Gulf; 09-23-2013, 07:13 PM.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I usually go to 1500 as a minimum for concrete. There are many good penetrating sealers out there that enhance and protect the concrete....I don't care for epoxy or surface sealers myself.
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

I used a penetrating sealer from my concrete supplier - don't recall the brand. I find I need to reseal annually, and I top up with butcher-block sealer every couple of months to enhance the shine. The weather beats it up quite a bit here.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

My friend has a bar at his place.
                  He used granite countertops and to make it more attractive, he installed onyx lit ups.
                  Damn! It gives peace when we hold a peg of 50 yr old JD.

Comment

Working...
                  X