Outdoor sink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outdoor sink

although 4 1/2" thick top is little overkill.
    Not when you concider how many toppings some people put on a pizza....... Seriously neil, That was ust one of many nice pieces available at the sawmill, weighing in at over 300 lbs,, it was tuff work mounting it to the outside of the shed, then hoping the shed wouldnt tip over... I have a milwaukee hole hawg, If your familiar with that i can drill holes with the extension all the way thru, self feeding bits... Im gonna have to find a sink to fit properly and not have trouble running the supply lines.... I can probably save the cut out and make a nice cutting board out of it, Or maybe a spare oven door,,

Cheers
    Mark
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

No chain saws!

Seriously, make the stop cuts with the circular (after drilling the starts, of course) as deep as possible and finish with a keyhole saw*. It will take longer but won't run the risk of damaging that maple. Good wood is a terrible thing to waste!

Are your fixture openings on the sink, or are you going to have to drill the maple for them?

*Yes, it's a handsaw. Not everything needs a motor!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

...keyhole saw ** Yes, it's a handsaw. Not everything needs a motor!
        There's a specialized keyhole saw for use on drywall, with carbide teeth so it stays sharp. If you need to buy one, this is definitely the one to buy.

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

...keyhole saw ** Yes, it's a handsaw. Not everything needs a motor!
          You mean they really make saws that dont run on electric,battery,gas.... Thats kinda like using an oven that doesnt run on gas (hahaha) Thanks all for the help.. In the spring i will follow all these usefull suggestios,, I ust found out there is a habitat reuse store about 45 mins away so hopefully over the winter i can pick up a used SS sink... I prefer to re use if possible..
          Cheers
          Mark

P.S. David.. Is that the brand they sell at Lowe's ??,, looks like a nice saw
          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Mark,
            when I made my bench tops, I had 3 slabs of dry River Red Gum which were around 4" thick, Rather than wasting the 3 slabs, I ripped 2 down to 1 1/2" x 4" strips, thicknessed them and then biscuit joined them around the sink hole that I needed. This saved a lot of wasted timber and I still have one for another project.
            Also, don't take any notice of using a chainsaw, just make sure it is sharp and handle it with caution - or spend hours on a key hole saw.
            I can think of better things to exert my energies on!

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

recently before a large pizza perty with over 75 guests i was faced with the dilema of shaking all the guests hands and trying to stay clean to make 50 pizzas . i was able to score a cheap bathroom sink and to my delight on my way home my neighbor was hauling a burnt out stainless steel grill for the trash man . i was able to tear out all the burner stuff and fit the sink into the cabinet .the thing is great i can close the lid when not in use and just hoook the hose to the back that supplies the faucet . for the drain i ran a pool filter hose to a dry well .

Comment

Dave,,, great idea,,,, good "green" reuse too...

Cheers
                Mark

Comment

Oooohh, nice!
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

I put a sink in my outdoor kitchen and am very pleased with it. It is stainless steel, has 2 sinks, one deeper than the other. I bought it at Home Depot. It is cold water only, was easy to run pvc to it. I drained it out under the lawn through a 20 ft long, 4 inch black perforated pipe with a sleeve and a cap on the end. I've got it on a 20 foot counter that icludes my BBQ. The counter is concrete, I'd also recommend a concrete counter, it is attractive and requires very little maintenance.

Comment

Hello guys!

Very excellent information and thanks to all and moreover,In other words, I want to use a water hose as the supply line feeding a standard kitchen faucet set mounted on an outdoor sink.Can any suggestions...
                      kitchen faucets

Comment

In other words, I want to use a water hose as the supply line feeding a standard kitchen faucet set mounted on an outdoor sink.
                        kitchen faucets

Comment

connect the faucet to a "T" then cut off the hose and clamp it to the t

Comment

how I might do it - There's likely better ways out there to do it as well.

Parts list
                            2ea. supply lines that fit your faucet - 3/8 x and longer is better.
                            1 ea. 3/8 inch compression T fitting.
                            1 ea. 3/8 compression to 1/2 male adaptor (my drawing lists this as a 3/8 compression to 1/2 female - sorry)
                            1 ea. Female garden hose to 1/2 female pipe adaptor. (my drawing lists this as 1/2 male to female garden hose adaptor)

cut 3 inches off of one line and save for later
                            connect supply lines to your faucet - do not over tighten
                            put a gentle bend in the long supply line and connect to middle part of the T fitting
                            connect the shorter line to the one of the end connections of the T
                            connect the 3 inch piece to the 3/8 comression to 1/2 adaptor and connect that to the garden hose adaptor - using teflon tape on the plumbing fittings is good idea.
                            connect this assembly to the compression T fitting and you're done.

I made a quick and ugly sketch.

added 1/5/10 - You should use a hose that is safe for drinking water - and might also consider attaching a backflow preventor to your hose bib at the house as an additional measure.

Christo
                            Last edited by christo; 01-06-2010, 06:15 AM. Reason: hose update and backflow preventor addition
                            My oven progress -
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                            sigpic

Comment

Anything worth complicating is worth over complicating...

Hot Water Systems - sole importer of the AEG Hot Water products

Click image for larger version

Name:	whistle.gif
Views:	3
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	279011

[/CENTER]

Comment

yeah! go for the hot water!!!
                                My oven progress -
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X