Outdoor sink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outdoor sink

For the few times that it is needed for me, it was easier to access it via a bucket from either the house kitchen or laundry rather than extend and insulate a very rarely used convenient commodity. Cold water, fine, hot water, not really at this point of time!

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I put one of these in: Very useful.

Comment

I had a point-of-use hot water heater in the workshop burst and do a lot of damage before the leak was discovered. Don't neglect to make provision for drainage if it's an indoor instalation.

I agree, It's nice to have hot water in seconds. In retrospect I think I had the temperature set too high. For greatest longevity, set the temperature for about what you want for hand washing.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The minimum recommended temperature for dishwashing ( per my Health Dept overseer) is 105 Degrees F. I use a on-demand water heater set for this temp and when I wash up I just run hot water. It makes it less complicated than working the mix valves with dirty hands etc.

Bruce
          Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

I would use an Air Admittance Valve for the vent. You can purchase these at Home Centers. Behind the sinks trap, install a tee looking upwards. Cut a piece of pipe long enough to go as high as possible with the AAV on top of it. AAV's are normally used on island sinks where a vent pipe going upwards is not possible.
            Bathtubs

Comment

Originally posted by Unofornaio View Post
              Hi all,

Browsing though the photos I see a lot of sinks incorporated into the outdoor areas. I was wondering, of those that have sinks in their setup how much do you really use it? My build site is about 10-12 feet from the door that leads to the kitchen and I'm thinking I really don't need a sink outside since its that close. Snip....
              X2. We have a doorway arm's length from the new oven site which is 11 feet from a sink, small refer and half bath. Out the other door and you are in a screened porch. Turn away from the original door and you have a shaded picnic area. Just a practical resignation caused by lack of excess funds

You are the only one you have to please. You can always find a 'nicer' or more expensive way to do things. Practicality is king for us.
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I really wish I had a small sink next to my oven. Tending the fire, and working with dough are dirty, incompatible activities. In addition, those aluminum handles of your oven tools leave black crud all over your hands (How hard would those be to anodize, FB?) My sink isn't ten feet from my oven, and it would be better if it were.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

My sink is three steps from my oven and 2 steps would be even better. A sink is imperative close to the oven. Unless you have an assistant or two helping with the dough prep and toppings, you will be washing your hands every time you step away from the oven. IMHO there is nothing less appetizing than a big black fingerprint on my nice clean white dough. If you don't want to spend the $$ now just stub-in the plumbing and finish it later. If you don't......You'll be sorry.
                  Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

I agree whole heartedly, a sink is as indespensible as the oven itself (unless you have a bucket of water close handy and keep on changing it).
                    I picked up another sink from a local recycle yard with a flick mixer that has a removable spout for $40 intended for another job that I am doing (putting in an outdoor kitchen in a sewing/quilting premises) and am currently considering changing the sinks over, but the drainer is on the wrong side.
                    However, I don't need 2 sinks.
                    Look around, find a bargain and install it no matter what else you do immediately after finishing your oven and installing your prep area/kitchen..... indespensible!!!!!

Cheers.

Neill
                    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                    Neill’s kitchen underway
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I agree, the sink is very useful. You end up with flour and dough caked all over your hands and it is nice not to have to leave the area to clean up.
                      Eric

Comment

Being an owner of Invicta Agency I have seen many designer kitchen set into outside area and they were looking good as well but I don't think that they will be as hygiene and clean as the indoor. If we get outdoor sink we may get the clogging issues again and again. If were getting a sink fixed for my home that would be in side the home. https://www.gilliesgroup.com.au/
                        Last edited by gilliesgroupau; 06-12-2019, 02:21 PM.

Comment

When I was building the patio/ grill station (the oven was added years later) I noticed a cleanout for the the main soil pipe (pvc) and said "Hon, I just found a place to connect a drain, you want a sink out here?".....the sink is by far the single most used item...you get sooted, touch the meat, tough you face, touch the logs, drop a tool, there is just always a reason to wash something.....you just can't have a kitchen without a sink and at this point I'm a little embarrassed to admit it was an afterthought. The outside kitchen is right off the inside kitchen so for sure without the outside sink the inside would do, but it would mean a LOT of trips inside so for amount used its:
                          1)sink
                          2) beer fridge - also an afterthought...I worked like a dog building the patio and figured I deserved a beer fridge...which is honestly mostly a water, soda, juice fridge most of the time, really nice thought
                          3) grill - used a couple times a week when weather permits
                          4) Oven - we honestly don't use it an awful lot, with covid meaning no guests its been fired twice this year, we really like it but its more an event as it requires a couple hours planning ahead and seems a waste for 1 pizza but when there are people over its frikin awesome, we haven't used the grill with guests since the oven was done.
                          5) Side burner - haven't used it in years now, luckily it sits pretty flush with the counter top so it can be used as counter space.

anyway, I vote yes on a sink and wish I had more counter space and had planned and oven from the beginning.

edit. and I kind of wish I'd gone with a point of use water heater instead of runner a hot line. Did the point of use in the shop and its pretty nice to always have warm water and was less work.
                          Last edited by mk e; 09-12-2020, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X