Materials for building a BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materials for building a BBQ

Hi. I'm building a BBQ beside my Pizza Oven. I intend building from concrete blocks. Do I need to line the concrete with firebrick or something? Concrete blocks are ugly so I'll be rendering the whole structure but for the cooking surface I assume I need to do something more heat resistant?
    Thanks
    Rich

I don't have experience building one - but my $0.02 ('bout what it's worth) is that you'd want firebrick lining the BBQ for heat retention more than anything. Concrete would suck the heat out of your fire pretty quickly. If you want to do any smoking or slow cooking, it will be a lot easier to control temp if you use fire brick.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

There are many 30 year old block BBQs in Australia we do fill and reinforce the cores they stand the heat OK having said that if I was to build one I would line with brick if I had the space

Comment

Regards BBQ in Australia a BBQ is an open fire box and a grill or plate used to grill meat not slow cook or grill

Comment

Correction. Not to slow cook or smoke

Comment

In that case I would recommend lining it with fire bricks so the heat doesn't degrade the cement.

Randy

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm actually building a separate smoker also but initially I'm just building the BBQ and an enclosure to hold my El cheapo brinkmann. I'll line with firebrick I think!

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Another Q. Firebrick is very expensive here. For the purposes of a BBQ/Grill would red brick be a suitable alternative. I can get antique red brick for about ?1 each whereas firebrick I is about ?2:80 last time I checked?

Comment

If the "antique red brick" are made from a "real clay", yes. If it were me, I would get a couple of samples of those bricks and fire them in the same type coals (heat) that will be used in the BBQ. Many have used "true" clay brick for their WFOs when firebrick were either too expensive or unobtainable. They won't last as long as firebrick in a WFO higher heat) but, will last a very long time in a BBQ.
                  Last edited by Gulf; 01-27-2016, 05:46 PM.
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Look at Bookemdano's thread, he is from the UK and did an oven with "reds".
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The lower part of the concrete blocks barbecue practical, but not very nice. You can do everything from a brick. like this

Fireclay brick hearth is better not to be laid on the solution, and lay on the sand, fireclay.

Comment

Working...
                      X