web analytics
Outdoor kitchen in very early design: what equipment to get? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor kitchen in very early design: what equipment to get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor kitchen in very early design: what equipment to get?

Iím just in early design phase and Iím having a hard time specing out equipment. I figure a number of you went through similar thought processes, so I wanted to get any input available. First of all, I definitely want a WFO. My family and I have a pretty good pizza night tradition going and itís already super annoying cycling pizzas on and off a baking steel 1 at a time in the oven. So I know I want at least a 2-3 personal size pie capacity wfo. I also love to bbq/smoke/grill over charcoal, so Iím thinking a ceramic cooker (bge, primo, or kamodo kamado if Iím lucky). I also like to be able to have a quick grilled meal, so Iím thinking a gas grill for those weeknights when I donít have the time to get the charcoal fired up, or to cook stuff over high heat while smoking something in the ceramic cooker. If Iím going to all the trouble of building a full service outdoor kitchen, Iíd wanna be able to do breakfast, so an evo flattop (not that a plancha is limited to breakfast) or something like that would be great. Then maybe a side burner. By the time I finish this design exercise, I feel like Iíll have an equipment showroom in my back yard. Has anyone out there gone through a similar exercise? Whereíd you end up?

I for sure felt this way. All these piece take up a lot of room and if you have the space for it that's great but also good equipment costs a pretty penny. I ended up setting my self up with a wfo, gas grill, 9' fireplace, and an outdoor refrigerator. I was thinking of some sort of smoker to build in or green egg but didn't go that route wish I did. Side burner to me was a waste unless youth putting in one that has a ton of btus..I found them from a few hundred to just under a $2000 but that one was for a 60,000 btu side burner. You get what you pay for so do your research on each product. I must have looked at 30-40 different gas grills and found out what the differences where. I just did what I thought was practical for me and what I used the most and took it from there. Have fun!
    My Build Pictures
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

I may not be able to help you very much on your decision. But, you mentioned "charcoal". Charcoal "briquettes) are not a natural cooking medium. And, yes they do take a little time to get them ready for a steak. If you haven't already checked out "lump" charcoal. It is a natural cooking medium, very quick to fire, leaves no after taiste, and is also a byproduct of WFO cooking. It is what is used in the expensive ceramic kamado like ovens available today. "Lump" charcoal is very good choice for any wood or charcoal grill imo. Try it in a cheap charcoal grill or habachi a couple of times before you make the big purchase. Don't use charcoal starter fluid. Use a natural starter medium and a charcoal chimney.
      joe watson

"A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

My Build
      My Picasa Web Album

Comment

I am thinking that if i do another outdoor kitchen i want to do a Santa Maria style grill to handle the grilling/ smoking. And plenty of prep space. And i will keep my gas grill for thoes quick dinners.

Comment

Working...
        X