Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor kitchen in very early design: what equipment to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor kitchen in very early design: what equipment to get?

I’m just in early design phase and I’m having a hard time specing out equipment. I figure a number of you went through similar thought processes, so I wanted to get any input available. First of all, I definitely want a WFO. My family and I have a pretty good pizza night tradition going and it’s already super annoying cycling pizzas on and off a baking steel 1 at a time in the oven. So I know I want at least a 2-3 personal size pie capacity wfo. I also love to bbq/smoke/grill over charcoal, so I’m thinking a ceramic cooker (bge, primo, or kamodo kamado if I’m lucky). I also like to be able to have a quick grilled meal, so I’m thinking a gas grill for those weeknights when I don’t have the time to get the charcoal fired up, or to cook stuff over high heat while smoking something in the ceramic cooker. If I’m going to all the trouble of building a full service outdoor kitchen, I’d wanna be able to do breakfast, so an evo flattop (not that a plancha is limited to breakfast) or something like that would be great. Then maybe a side burner. By the time I finish this design exercise, I feel like I’ll have an equipment showroom in my back yard. Has anyone out there gone through a similar exercise? Where’d you end up?

I for sure felt this way. All these piece take up a lot of room and if you have the space for it that's great but also good equipment costs a pretty penny. I ended up setting my self up with a wfo, gas grill, 9' fireplace, and an outdoor refrigerator. I was thinking of some sort of smoker to build in or green egg but didn't go that route wish I did. Side burner to me was a waste unless youth putting in one that has a ton of btus..I found them from a few hundred to just under a $2000 but that one was for a 60,000 btu side burner. You get what you pay for so do your research on each product. I must have looked at 30-40 different gas grills and found out what the differences where. I just did what I thought was practical for me and what I used the most and took it from there. Have fun!
    My Build Pictures
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

I may not be able to help you very much on your decision. But, you mentioned "charcoal". Charcoal "briquettes) are not a natural cooking medium. And, yes they do take a little time to get them ready for a steak. If you haven't already checked out "lump" charcoal. It is a natural cooking medium, very quick to fire, leaves no after taiste, and is also a byproduct of WFO cooking. It is what is used in the expensive ceramic kamado like ovens available today. "Lump" charcoal is very good choice for any wood or charcoal grill imo. Try it in a cheap charcoal grill or habachi a couple of times before you make the big purchase. Don't use charcoal starter fluid. Use a natural starter medium and a charcoal chimney.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I am thinking that if i do another outdoor kitchen i want to do a Santa Maria style grill to handle the grilling/ smoking. And plenty of prep space. And i will keep my gas grill for thoes quick dinners.

Comment

I built mine over last 18 months. Selecting equipment was a challenge for sure. I found it helpful to ID the type of equipment I wanted first without getting into the nitty gritty of brand etc. My first step was to build a two tier patio for kitchen and fire pit. That was a couple years ago. The kitchen built has 42” WFO, larger 22” komando style grill smoker, gas grill (about 40”), side burner, 14 foot serving bar with insulated dry sink built into Glas reinforced concrete countertop, two under counter storage doors on either side of a built in Komodo grill space, 30 inch tool drawer below the gas grill, two door storage area below dry sink, 3 drawer storage built into serving bar and an under counter storage space for a rolling service cart. I purchased all equipment but WFO which I built last summer. Holding off let me finalize layout specs for cabinet bases I built from metal stud and track skinned with durock, glass reinforced browncoat and stucco. I use Komando for most small smoking jobs. I will be able to get smoke into WFO with little difficulty if needed for big jobs. My dry sink came out nice, it doubles as a beer / wine/ water chilled and accommodates 3 half 4” steam table trays with covers to serve chilled foods. I opted not to do a refrigerator, the dry sink has been great when packed with ice. It has a drain into the flower bed behind it.

Comment

I too spent some time thinking about the appliances for the outdoor kitchen. I have two 10 - 12 foot counters with storage beneath. Except for the sink, I really didn't want to take up counter space building items into them, BBQ, etc. I finally settled on running a propane manifold under the counters, installing quick disconnect propane fittings along the countertops, and storing outdoor countertop appliances in the storage areas. These would include tabletop BBQ, burners, fryer, griddle, etc. As for your WFO, most sizes will work for you. Mine is big enough for 3 pies at a time, but my talent isn't. While they cook in under 2 minutes, one at a time is all I can handle. Good Luck!!

Comment

Along with my WFO, I have a 2 burner Camp Chef stove with a large griddle. Love the griddle. My old propane grill was replaced with a small Traeger pellet stove. I am not entirely sold on it. I liked the ease of the propane grill when we wanted to cook something up fast but it was just a gas grill. The Traeger does not get really high temps for searing but it does a passable job slow cooking. I just ordered a Kamado egg which I am hoping will give me a decent grill. We use the WFO for larger party’s (40-50 pizza’s) and for all of our roasts, turkeys, bread etc. I do cook outside year round, even during our miserably cold winters.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                I am thinking that if i do another outdoor kitchen i want to do a Santa Maria style grill to handle the grilling/ smoking. And plenty of prep space. And i will keep my gas grill for thoes quick dinners.
                WooHoo ... another SantaMaria / Argentine Grill lover ... So, am I. I like the Sunterra website that is also BBQ Pit Boys related / affiliated. Here is an image form their website:
                Attached Files

Comment

I really like my mongolian grill that is FLAT and gets b***chin hot ..!! I took the legs off and now it sits on top of my right side of my BBQ station .... and it looks like it is "floating" which is kinda cool. The Santa Maria grill is going to be on the right side.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Rupps Metalworks sold me this flat mongolian grill and the cool part is that they are only a stones throw away from my house in Kelowna, BC, Canada. They have their small metalworks operation in Salmon Arm BC. I paid around $1700 for it with the cover. They told me that they can make my unit natural gas since I have a bib nearby my station .. but they informed me that propane gets WAYYYY hotter and also heats up FASTER than natural gas. The tank is going to be hidden down below

Comment

Also, .. I wanted to stay away from the typical / conventional (boring as h***) bbq station with the typical stainless steel burner bbq. I wanted something TOTALLY different so that when I have guests over .... they say .."wow, ... that mongolian grill is soooooo cool, .. and that SanaMaria / argentine grill is even more cool." My BBQ station is definitely unique. I feel like a Cro-Magnon / Neanderthal since I use chucks or coal in combination with wood to get to the final glowing embers

Comment

I'm also planning to rebuild my backyard and already got a new grill. At first, I wanted to get a Webber grill, but it's a bit expensive. So a friend of mine suggested to me Blossomz grill. It's not very expensive, has a large cooking area, and what I like the most, it has two separate sides for gas and charcoal.

On the images you can see what I have now and how I want it to be

Click image for larger version  Name:	backyard3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	184.5 KB ID:	430431 Click image for larger version  Name:	557865324f4b36dde56fed1548d5a456.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.4 KB ID:	430432
                        Last edited by Gulf; 09-20-2020, 04:54 AM. Reason: Commercial Link
                        Never follow anyone else’s path. Unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path. Then by all means follow that path!

Comment

Originally posted by ogopogodude View Post
                          I really like my mongolian grill that is FLAT and gets b***chin hot ..!! I took the legs off and now it sits on top of my right side of my BBQ station .... and it looks like it is "floating" which is kinda cool. The Santa Maria grill is going to be on the right side.
                          Oooooooo...I want one of those!

Comment

Hello, .. they are pretty cool alright, .. I will provide a few more pics soon .. of my unfinished BBQ station that has yet to be masoned.

They are made "LOCALLY" , .. that is if you are a Canadian living in western Canada, specifically the province of BC. The workmanship is amazing. Very heavy (which is what one WANTS ... heavy means quality).

Comment

Here's a few more pics of the Mongolian Grill by Rupps MetalWorks in Salmon arm which is a small Mom & Pop operation near my home in Kelowna, BC, Canada. (near Vancouver)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X