Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Designing an Outdoor Kitchen in FL… framing materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing an Outdoor Kitchen in FL… framing materials?

Hey all! First post here, just found this site.
    I am building an outdoor kitchen in our backyard. I’m in north FL so climate wise it’s pretty warm. It will be an L shaped and have a brick pizza oven that I’m building also. There will be a pergola style structure over it with a shingled roof.
    To save money, I’m planning to build the cabinets out of plywood (that’s sealed to kingdom come) and IPE as the fronts. Basically the plan is to frame out the structure and slide the couple cabinets in and screw them off. It will be wrapped in stone and more than likely concrete counter tops.

My main question is what to build the actual frame out of. Originally I was going to use pressue treated 2x4’s but… ya know… fire. Then I thought about metal studs, but I hate how flimsy they are and I can’t find 20ga anyways. My current plan is to use tubed 304 stainless steel that’s 3x1 1/2. I’m going to weld it all together (learning as I go) so it should go great *sarcasm*.
    Could I use a cheaper metal? I know rust is an issue but it will be completely sealed up and waterproofed. What kind of steel/metal could I use that is strong and welds easy? A 12ft stick of stainless is crazy expensive, like $150. I want to build this thing right but also not break the bank. Cinder Block construction isn’t out, they just take up a ton of room, but again that’s not out of the possibilities.
    If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help. My preferred method is cheaper tubed metal and just tack it all together but I don’t want a rust problem down the road. Thanks for the help!

You normally will not find 20 gauge metal studs at any of the big box stores and you need to go to a dry wall or gypsum supplier. Several forum builders have used 20 gauge on their WFOs and outdoor kitchen set ups.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks! I will look around locally. Do you know if there are any other outdoor kitchen forms I could post on? Trying to gather as much info as possible.

Comment

They're spread out through out the blog so use the Search function for "metal studs" and it will bring up dozens of builds largely, oven structures, but the build process is very similar to island structures. The same holds true for steel tubular bases.
        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 12-08-2022, 01:34 PM.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Lahardee View Post
          If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help. My preferred method is cheaper tubed metal and just tack it all together but I dont want a rust problem down the road. Thanks for the help!
          Wow, your looking for a cheap building material and considering stainless? Look at what's the common building materials in your area as they will be the most cost effective but generally, block, brick, timber frame then metal framing in that order.

You are considering concrete countertops and a brick pizza oven so that's going to add up to a lot of weight your structure needs to hold. Best choice would be block under the pizza oven at least then use timber or metal stud for the rest. I don't see any additional fire risk with timber framing as any heat areas should be adequately sheeted. Metal stud framing is probably the easiest & quickest construction method and you don't need heavy gauge as the sheeting provides additional stiffness and strength.

I am not sure why you think block construction takes up a ton of room as the overall size will be identical, yes you will loose some internal area but this is generally not usable area anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lahardee View Post
            Hey all! First post here, just found this site.
            I am building an outdoor kitchen in our backyard. I’m in north FL so climate wise it’s pretty warm. It will be an L shaped and have a brick pizza oven that I’m building also. There will be a pergola style structure over it with a shingled roof.
            To save money, I’m planning to build the cabinets out of plywood (that’s sealed to kingdom come) and IPE as the fronts. Basically the plan is to frame out the structure and slide the couple cabinets in and screw them off. It will be wrapped in stone and more than likely concrete counter tops.

My main question is what to build the actual frame out of ex display kitchens Glasgow. Originally I was going to use pressue treated 2x4’s but… ya know… fire. Then I thought about metal studs, but I hate how flimsy they are and I can’t find 20ga anyways. My current plan is to use tubed 304 stainless steel that’s 3x1 1/2. I’m going to weld it all together (learning as I go) so it should go great *sarcasm*.
            Could I use a cheaper metal? I know rust is an issue but it will be completely sealed up and waterproofed. What kind of steel/metal could I use that is strong and welds easy? A 12ft stick of stainless is crazy expensive, like $150. I want to build this thing right but also not break the bank. Cinder Block construction isn’t out, they just take up a ton of room, but again that’s not out of the possibilities.
            If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help. My preferred method is cheaper tubed metal and just tack it all together but I don’t want a rust problem down the road. Thanks for the help!
            Hey there. I'm now thinking my new kitchen ideas over and need a piece of advice I agree that plastic is by no means a good idea for the outdoor kitchen. What did you use? wood? and company of kitchen faucets?

Comment

Pour a slab, build your basic structure out of block and then top it with a concrete countertop. This is going to be a permanent structure, so why start off cutting corners and going against know building practices. If you start going down this road, then you’re going to cut corners on insulation, bricks, correct mortar and so on. These ovens are not light when completed and certainly not inexpensive, but will provide years of enjoyment when built correctly. This forum is an incredible resource if you take advantage of what it offers. Read, read and read some more. That’s what I did after “thinking” I knew what I was doing. I’M SO GLAD I SLOWED DOWN, WAITED AND DID A BUNCH OF READING!!!! I couldn’t be happier with how mine came out and it certainly would be what it is without the wisdom of this forum guiding me in the right direction from the start.

My build with pictures for reference. https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ie-ready-to-go
              My newbie build thread: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ie-ready-to-go

Comment

Working...
              X