Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed lining a smoker with firebrick

Greetings All,

In addition to my 42" Pompeii build, my outdoor kitchen plans include a built-in rectangular smoker (54"lx33"wx38"h) that utilizes a removable round steel firebox.

My initial plans call for a 2 1/2" steel-stud box frame with 1/2" cement board on either side and insulation (blanket?) inside. I would then mortar 9x4.5x1.25" 'splits' to the inside walls of the smoker.

Question #1: Do you forsee any problems mortaring the firebrick splits (like tile) onto the cement board interior? I plan to use refractory mortar.

Question #2: Will the concrete board (Hardibacker) hold up to temperatures up to 250degF?

Question #3: Would it be smarter to build an internal wall of 2 1/2" firebrick and insulate accordingly outside? I understand it is not wise to stagger bricks layed in a vertical fashion. How would a sturdy wall be properly constructed?

This whole exercise was born from my current smoker that is regularly too small and that leaks heat from it's thinnish metal walls. On a recent trip to the local county fair I saw a vendor who had lined his smoker with firebrick splits.

All help/advise greatly appreciated!

John

Re: Help needed lining a smoker with firebrick

I lined an old fireplace with firebrick splits, the firebox was small to begin with, and I didn't want to loose much space. They were, however, mortared to a solid common brick structure with heat-stop, except where there were big gaps which I backfilled with ordinary mortar. It's held up well, but it's only been used with gas logs, so it's not subjected to raging flames. I don't know how splits would work stuck to masonry board.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the timely response, David. When construction time comes, if I'm not completely comfortable with using masonry board for the inside walls I will cast a 'low-temp' 1" wall using portland and fireclay and either mortar the splits to it or forgo the splits altogether.

John

Comment

John

You can also check some of the pottery forums. They discuss building kilns and you may get some ideas from them.

Comment

Thanks Neil. Good idea!

John

Comment

Working...
          X