X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmun
    replied
    Re: Open Grill design ideas

I need to do a little research on chimney options, but any reason why you couldn't share a chimney between the two (e.g. single smoke stack out the top)?
    If you're pulling a building permit, it's a non-starter. You can't vent two solid fuel appliances through the same flue. Now depending on how much you wanted to grill at any one time, I could see a recess in the floor of the oven entry where you could rake coals forward to do some grilling. It wouldn't be very big, and it would be some trouble to use both at once, but they would essentially be the same unit and could share a vent.

It would be a lot less trouble to use the tuscan grill for occasional grilling, or have a dedicated grill separate from the pizza oven. It's worth noting that most grills don't have chimneys anyway.

Leave a comment:

• michaewa
    replied

Thanks for the replies! I will be going with concrete countertops for sure. I'm starting to think of building a small fireplace with a staggered step like Archena's, so I could use it just as a fireplace, or as a grill as needed.

I need to do a little research on chimney options, but any reason why you couldn't share a chimney between the two (e.g. single smoke stack out the top)?

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

pour yourself a concrete couter top....

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

I'm planning on an open grill. My plan is to recess it with a staggered step system for controlling the grate height. As long as it's low enough and the counter isn't a good heat conductor (steel is out) it shouldn't overheat the surround.

Mind you, I plan to try a small scale version first to make sure.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Mich,
    I think the grill is a great idea... Im not sure but I think if you built the lining of the grill, Maybe even the floor only with firebrick, you wouldnt have to worry about heat loss as you do with an oven, In an oven you are cooking with reatined heat, In your grill you would be cooking with the hot coals as your heat source, As we know many grills are built of lightweight metals and still cook well, as far as heat transfer you can insulate with vermicerete to control that in areas you feel it is necessary,,, If you go to the photos section look up ACHILES oven, he built a rotisserie right next to his oven, Ive spoke to him and he doesnt seem to be having any heat transfer problems,, My only recommendation would be to use metal studs for your base,,, Good luck and keep us posted
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• michaewa
    started a topic Open Grill design ideas

Open Grill design ideas

I have looked through here and not found any examples of an open grill.

I have just poured a foundation for my WFO, and have enough space for a countertop adjacent to the oven location to form an 'L' shape.

I would like to have a recessed pit with an iron grate above so that I can transfer coals from the oven to the pit for grilling.

Does anyone have any suggestions, photos, designs that accomplish this? My initial questions are regarding the location of the grill - the heat it would transfer to the surrounding countertop (to be used as a prep surface) is a concern. Additionally, would you suggest having a chimney over the grill? Perhaps to tie in with the oven chimney?

Is the grill a poor idea?

Cheers!
Working...
X