Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open Grill design ideas

Originally posted by michaewa View Post
    I have looked through here and not found any examples of an open grill.

I have just poured a foundation for my WFO, and have enough space for a countertop adjacent to the oven location to form an 'L' shape.

I would like to have a recessed pit with an iron grate above so that I can transfer coals from the oven to the pit for grilling.

Does anyone have any suggestions, photos, designs that accomplish this? My initial questions are regarding the location of the grill - the heat it would transfer to the surrounding countertop (to be used as a prep surface) is a concern. Additionally, would you suggest having a chimney over the grill? Perhaps to tie in with the oven chimney?

Is the grill a poor idea?

Cheers!
    Hi

Not sure if this is the type of design you are talking about but I am building both a WFO and a large spit/Grill to allow for Lamb spit rotisserie and also a grilling area.

Note that the grey tiles on the sand will be replaced with the left over fire bricks

Hope this helps
    Last edited by John K; 11-26-2009, 04:39 AM.
    John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

hey john,

Your build is looking good....

Cheers
      Mark

Comment

Ooohhh, like!

I finally have my SketchUp where I can get at it. Here's what I want to do. It's actually designed after a Middle Eastern custom of long grilling pits that guests sat alongside and grilled their own food. I just prefer chairs - and so do my knees! I figure on some sort of removable top so the space can be used as a table when not grilling. Haven't worked out the drain (rainwater is inevitable) yet beyond planning on a French drain outlet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire Trench for Kebobs - paint.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	278490
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

cool arch..... i like it

Comment

I've put a few designs together too, struggling to get a grill area incorporated. I'm currently at design phase, and am largely leaning toward a 'cooking fireplace' - a rumford-esque deal with a 2-3' hearth for grilling on. Figure that way I get a fireplace and a grill space in one - but it certainly does size up the entire project. Trouble with masonry is there's SO MANY OPTIONS!

Comment

Here is a example in use

Just need a nice piece of stainless steel sheeting on the back wall to finish it off
              John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Working...
              X