Crack Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crack Advice

Like many others, I have developed cracks during the cure process. I noticed the cracks after the 500F fire. The oven is covered with about a half inch of homebrew. The question is: Do I continue the fires up to the final cure to see how bad it's going to get, or do something about it now? I guess another question would be: Should I do anytheing about it at all?

Leigh

Re: Crack Advice

Your oven expands and contracts as it heats and cools. It's going to crack somewhere and those look like nice ones . If you fix them, the oven will either crack again in the same place or crack somewhere else .

Everyone here has them and it doesn't reflect poorly on your workmanship. It's just physics. I'm willing to bet they won't get any worse. Leave them alone.

Insulate it, finish curing and start cooking. Nice looking oven!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

If I were you, I would build more fires and eat more pizza to rectify the situation.

Comment

I'm with Tom... rejoice in your finished oven with some pizzas and beer.

Nice-looking brick work.

John

Comment

Thanks very much for the encouragement guys, I like the way you think. I just wanted to make sure. Feeling much better about moving forward. Thanks again

Leigh

Comment

The more Beer you drink the smaller the cracks will look.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X