Smoke or steam during curing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke or steam during curing?

I finished my dome approximately a week and a half ago. I have started the curingprocess and have noticed very small areas of smoke or steam exiting the outside of the dome. Is this normal? What should I do if its smoke? Thanks. Mike

Re: Smoke or steam during curing?

Pretty simple solution, if it smells like smoke.. it is..

Most likely you will have to patch up the gaps with mortar if you have leaks.. and give it time before curing again.

Steam is very common when curing, as there is lots of water in your mortar, it has to come out sometime.

Comment

Mine steamed for days, all through the curing process. Little wisps from all over the dome. It's probably normal... the water coming out of the mortar.
      -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

If it is smoke is that a concern? People mention it is normal to get cracks and not to worry about them. I would assume if there is a crack in the oven then smoke can escape. Am I safe to not worry about it in either case? Thanks for your help. Mike

Comment

If steam is visible, back off with the fire, you risk damaging the refractory.
          If it's smoke then the best you can do is to plug the gaps with mortar.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The smoke will leave soot and the steam will not.

Chris

Comment

Ok, I need some help deciding what to do next. Today I lit another curing fire. The steam or smoke came out of the same area. There is no blackening of the area like in the dome. Probably steam??? My biggest concern is this, I took tomorrow off of work because I wanted to insulate the oven and close up the enclosure and face it with stone. I think I can get that done over the weekend since I have my steel studs up for the dome enclosure. Is it safe to close everything up or should I wait until the curing process is done. Thanks, Mike

Comment

Pictures would improve the advice you get about this

I patched my cracks and insulated it. I'm sure the dome is not air tight even now but it doesn't affect the operation of the oven. You may be in the same boat.

Originally posted by mtalone View Post
                Ok, I need some help deciding what to do next. Today I lit another curing fire. The steam or smoke came out of the same area. There is no blackening of the area like in the dome. Probably steam??? My biggest concern is this, I took tomorrow off of work because I wanted to insulate the oven and close up the enclosure and face it with stone. I think I can get that done over the weekend since I have my steel studs up for the dome enclosure. Is it safe to close everything up or should I wait until the curing process is done. Thanks, Mike
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I will try to post some pictures of the smoke if I can get a good enough image. In the meantime, here are some pictures of my oven so far.... Thanks for all your help. Mike
                  Attached Files

Comment

For some reason I am having trouble posting more than one picture at a time.
                    Attached Files

Comment

One last one...
                      Attached Files

Comment

I know these are out of order but I thought maybe it would be helpful to see the dome construction in more detail....
                        Attached Files

Comment

Mike,

I assume you are going to cover this with a blanket. It doesn't matter if it is steam or smoke. You are doing an enclosure so you are safe to keep building (it won't be air tight). Keep the fire going to purge any vapor - no worries.
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I agree with David S. If you are getting a large amount of steam, slow off a bit with your curing fires. Use a smaller fire for a longer time. You have to be patient, there is no need to rush this stage and there is a real danger of damaging your oven if you heat it too hot and fast while there is a lot of water in the brick.

Many have assisted the curing by keeping a small electric fan/heater at low heat in the oven between curing fires.
                            Last edited by Neil2; 09-30-2011, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks to all, I will keep you posted. It is great to have some help to lean on. Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X