Smoke or steam during curing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoke or steam during curing?

Ok, so I have been patiently trying to put my oven through the curing process. I took things slowly since I noticed a small amount of steam coming from the dome during my early fires. I went ahead a put a heater in the dome overnight and used charcoal to keep the oven around 200 degrees for several day. Things have been going well so far with no cracks. Today the goal was 700 degrees and things got out of hand and reached 800. I have a small hairline crack in the inside of the dome. Outside it looks much bigger. I have read some people patch the crack with more mortar and others say "drink more beer and it will go away" To patch or not to patch???? BTW, I am building an enclosure around the dome. Thanks, Mike

Comment

If you have some mortar on had then go ahead and patch it. Hairline crack are typical and can be ignored.

Comment

One of the problems during curing is that the top of the dome dries out first and then of course gets even hotter while the base of the dome and floor are still damp and therefore much cooler. This creates a massive difference in temperature which results in a big difference in thermal expansion and resulting damage. Once the oven is completely dry the thing heats up more evenly, but the damage may have already been done. Keeping a gentle fire (charcoal) going for longer helps keep down the high temp rise in the top of the dome. Also it may be beneficial to leave the oven for a week between curing fires to let some of the moisture lower down migrate back up into the drier dome.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I will slow down my curing process as recommended. Do any of you think I need to repair this or is it ok to leave it alone? THanks, Mike

Comment

Working...
          X