Orange tree suitable for firewood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange tree suitable for firewood?

I came across an opportunity to acquire a truckload of wood from an orange tree that was felled about a year ago. It has been resting on the ground.

I do not see orange as a preferred fruit wood along with almond, pecan, apple, etc. from any firewood retailers.

Is this different than the osage orange wood, which is listed as extremely high in BTU's and desireable for fuel?

Thanks in advance,

John

Re: Orange tree suitable for firewood?

I don't know myself from experience, but out of curiousity I did find this link .
    I would say go for it .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Citrus wood is hard to find at retailers. Around here, you find burnable quantities only when a mature citrus grove is plowed under by a developer. Otherwise, it's just sticks and prunings. It burns clean, has decent heat output, and is less irritating to people with allergies than other woods. It has a very light aroma when burned. I'd snatch it up in a second. It won't perform like oak, but you'll be happy with it.
      Last edited by azatty; 05-23-2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

We use to burn only Orange in the fireplace, very hot burning with little or no poping. I'll take it anyday over Oak.

Chris

PS John, let me know if there's more for the having.

Comment

Giannifocaccia, orange firewood is the desiderable choice for make a perfect paella as it gives the special nice light smoky taste. Regarding ovens, everybody here use orange wood when it's possible.

Regards

Comment

Thank you for the valuable input, gentlemen! The absence of orange wood in the site Gulf suggested (and this one: Tree Species and Firewood BTU Ratings Chart for Heat Energy Content) sent up a red flag, but you all, especially Dmendo - thank you! - have made this a no-brainer for me.

Chris, I was able to fill my truck bed with about two-thirds of this once very large tree, and another scavenger came right behind when I was finishing and took the rest of it to burn on a camping trip.
            John

Comment

The story of my life.. A day late and a dollar short.. :-)

Split the big chunks as best as you can and as long as it's dry, and it looks dry, you will be delighted..

Chris

Comment

John, Orange is a heavy dense wood and it should feel heavy and dry.. I don't see signs of mold or rot and do see checking. Try to split a bigger piece following the checking and have a fire in your firepit.

Chris
                Last edited by SCChris; 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM.

Comment

The story of my life.. A day late and a dollar short.. :-)
                  Chris,
                  Hey! I resemble that remark! You have no idea how many times I've called on Craigslist items to be told I was too late. This time luck was with me since I acted immediately (I only called yesterday and arranged to pick up the wood first thing this morning). If the other person didn't come 'round I could have called you because my truck was full. I will remember to call you if there is a (fruit wood) next time.
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                    Thank you for the valuable input, gentlemen! The absence of orange wood in the site Gulf suggested (and this one: Tree Species and Firewood BTU Ratings Chart for Heat Energy Content) sent up a red flag,....
                    On the link that I included it was right under Grapevines .

Citrus ? Becoming increasingly popular especially in Florida, is the use of the wood from Orange trees, Grapefruit trees, and Lemon trees. Citrus wood imparts a mild fruity smoke, which works pretty well on almost all meats.
                    Last edited by Gulf; 05-24-2012, 04:30 PM.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks John, I forget to check craigslist as often as I should.

Chris

Comment

On the link that I included it was right under Grapevines.
                        Duh! In my haste I scanned the list for Orange, rather than Citrus. Thanks for pointing it out, Gulf.

John

Comment

Hi all,
                          So is there any fruit wood that you would not use? I can get my hands on prunnings from the family orchid but was never sure of what to use. Cherry, pear, apple, lemon, fig, quince, plum, walnut, grapefruit, kiwi,
                          Thoughts?
                          I would love to use some for smoking as well the bigger dry stuff as fuel/ kindling.
                          Fruit wood is not so common in oz.
                          Cheers
                          Cus

Comment

Originally posted by cus View Post
                            Hi all,
                            So is there any fruit wood that you would not use?......
                            Fruit wood is not so common in oz.
                            Cheers
                            Cus
                            I personally can't answer that since I haven't tried them all. The great thing about smoking is that it takes relatively a little amount of wood to make a whole lot of smoke .

Comment

Originally posted by cus View Post
                              I would love to use some for smoking
                              Most of the Eucs and wattles are ok for that too.

I wouldnt use the wattle commonly known as Blackwood as it has a know irritant in it that can cause nose bleeds from the dust and a skin irritant.
                              Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM.
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X